PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...

bussell
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I boiled a bit last year and made about 1/4 of a gallon last year using a propane tank. I'm looking to scale-up this year with more taps and get more efficient rig.

I'm debating whether or not to get prefab evaporator or to just make one with blocks.

Thoughts?

KenWP
11-13-2009, 06:26 PM
They should get 20-20 to investigate this problem someday. Every person who makes syrup wants to make more of the stuff. Must be some hidden drug in syrup stream that causes it.
If you can buy a prefab go for it as it's less work but homemade works also depending on your skills and pateince when things don't go right.

TapME
11-13-2009, 06:55 PM
welcome to the site Bussell. The block arch thing works good with just a little investment. Where are you in the pine tree state?

birdmancf
11-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Bussell,

The real question is what is your most abundant and/or limited resource. If money, then you can build cheaper. But if you have and can spend the money, you can always get great return on sellling your used equipment if you decide to get out of it. If you have a small.limited number of potential taps then again building your own might be for you, if you plan to keep expanding, why start with something you'll quickly outgrow.
I've been working a barrel evaporator for two years now and enjoy the process of trying to make it better, more efficient each year (by the way this is THE PLACE to get great info on how to tinker with and upgrade your system(s).) I think my tap number will be limited so expanding into an expensive rig is just not right for me yet. However when I do expand , I will have one pimped out, glowing hot, steam spewing sugar-maker that I'm ready to passs along to another newbie.
Enjoy the ride, this hobby is more infectitous than H1N1 could ever be.
Chris

By the way, what part of Maine?

bussell
11-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm in Sanford (but originally from Topsham).

I've got about as many Red Maples as I could imagine ever using (probably 50 taps worth), and a handfull of Sugar Maples. Last year I just noodled around during Spring Break and tapped a bunch of trees and quickly ran out of propane and capacity to store the sap.

This is a dumb question, but can someone explain to me why an "arch" is called an arch?

Since I'm a student, my most limited resource is money, for sure. I could probably swing about $400 on a rig. But I have considered buying something more expensive with the knowledge that I could just resell it.

Also, one of the many zany ideas I have is converting a stainless steel double sink (like restaurants have) into an arch. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for the advice, guys!

bussell
11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/3kd3p83o95O95Qd5Sd9b128667c0119b31b10.jpg

This is the sort of sink I was thinking about.

Russell Lampron
11-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Bussell,

An arch is called that because in a real evaporator the flames are "arched" up under the rear pan. Do you have a sink like the one in the picture? When I add on to my sugar house I want to get one to wash things in. You could sell that and put the money towards an evaporator.

Haynes Forest Products
11-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Bussel Dont ever not try something because of embarrassment or because someone doesn't THINK it will work. My second method of syrup production was a SS resturant wash basin and the arch/wood stove/firebox made fron the tool boxes off a scrap dump truck. It was so low to the ground you had to sit on the ground to fire. It was a batch rig and when I threw it on the scrap pile after 2 years someone else took it and used it so GO for it. As Russel said keep the sink and sell it and use the money to get better materials for your rig. Sit and STARE at it for a few days before you touch it with a saw and you will come up with a better idea:)

Haynes Forest Products
11-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Bussel Start by checking Craigs list under wood stoves and start with a wood stove for the doors. I just saw a franklin stove for cheap that has nice doubble doors. A few trips to the scrap yard and your mind will be spinning with great ideas.

KenWP
11-14-2009, 08:28 AM
There are lots of good ideas out there someplace just have to find them. I make do with what I can find and scrounge up. I am just in it for the fun. When it becomes a job I will probbably go make something else.
I checked out a new thrift shop for parts the other day. They fill huge bins full of metal all the time.

bussell
11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, guys!