PDA

View Full Version : He wants my social security number?

heus
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Patrick says he needs me to send him my social sec. number for border paperwork on the delivery of my 2x6 evaporator. Is this normal?? I feel very hesitant to give anyone my soc sec #. For those in the U.S. that have purc hased from Patrick has he asked for your soc sec#? He scheduled a delivery date later this month.

Z/MAN
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
I just received an e-mail from Patrick today. The 2x3 pan that I ordered in Sept was shipped today.:D He included a tracking number from Canada Post, the Canadian shipping service. He did not ask for any info from me besides my address.

heus
11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
He is personally bringing it across the border to my house.

3rdgen.maple
11-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Hues I have heard some talk that the border patrol was gonna require a ss# of the end user of an imported item to the us. Never heard if it was in affect or not. I would do a little searching on the net. and see what you come up with.

Fred Henderson
11-13-2009, 07:20 PM
I had to give him mine when I purchased from him. I called US customs and asked if I had to do this and they said yes.

heus
11-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks Fred.

fishercatwoodchuck
11-14-2009, 11:09 AM
The reason he is asking for SSN is that the customs broker he is using needs it for what's called consignee number. With that being said if he has his own consignee # and he is willing to bring it in for you that would be the best. I'm not a big fan of handing out social security numbers either. Also you can meet him at the U.S. border and make entry yourself, sometimes that saves some money to.

Greg Morin
11-14-2009, 08:44 PM
my 2x3 pan shipped the other day and didnt need it but he isnt bringing it over personally.

Brent
11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
we ship machinery and parts into the US almost every day and yes US Customs want the Taxpayer ID of the companies we ship to, so I'm guessing your social insurance number is the personal equivalent of the corporate taxpayer ID

KenWP
11-15-2009, 08:08 AM
my 2x3 pan shipped the other day and didnt need it but he isnt bringing it over personally.

Basically two different situations here. When he ships it you have to receive it on the other end and they get what info they need then. When he brings it across the line he needs proof it's presold or they will not let him across the border. With no proof of a customer they will say he's trying to steal business from US people. It's dumb but the way it works. Fellow I know was going to a sales convention in the US and they refused him entry due to so many people in the US being out of work.
It's okay for somebody to order from Canada but it's not okay for a Canadain to sell something not already presold as in carrying it across the border and selling it cold down there.