PDA

View Full Version : Force 5 Boiling Demonstration in Northwest Pa

Dave Y
11-13-2009, 05:32 AM
I would like to invite anyone who would and can to come to Marienville Pa,to see a demonstration of the new Lapierre Force 5 Arch and evaporator. It will be held December 19th from 10 am to 3pm. we are hoping to have a representative from Lapierre USA present. Also, There will be a representative from S&T Bank here to talk about financing for your sugaring operation. This will be held at Yeany,s Maple in downtown Marienvile.For directions mapquest 113 Chestnut St.
or call 814 221 4360. Hope to see you there!

KenWP
11-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Downtown. Only in PA would they boil maple downtown. Sounds like the hicktown I come from in Alberta we used to ride horses to the bar and leave them tied up outside. I wonder if they are selling any othe those Force 5 to Quebecoies around here. If you get a chance and ask if there is any going in up here. I know that they know about them as my old freind mentioned that her heard about it. He's pretty smart for 80 plus years old and we get along well as I have a pretty good understanding about maple so far.

Dave Y
11-13-2009, 06:18 AM
KenWp
That is because only in Pa is there someone like me. It has nothing to do with hicks.

jrthe3
11-13-2009, 07:03 AM
dave i be there some time maybe all day i wrote you on the calender in pen

ennismaple
11-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Ken - I don't think they're having trouble selling the Force 5 anywhere... I heard they stopped taking orders in July because they would be busy manufacturing right up until spring 2010 with what's already sold. I had to beg and plead for them to make me a front steam hood before the end of January!

Dave Y
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Ennis,
Why didnt you order it with the rig. I was told that they have orders to keep them busy till july of 2010.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-14-2009, 08:18 PM
All these orders mean the price will probably go up significantly on the Force 5 arches. You guys that got them this year will probably be a bargain price compared to a year or two, supply and demand.

Sugarmaker
11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the invite. Will see whats happening as we get closer.

Regards,
Chris

Dave Y
11-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Brandon,
That is one thing I like about you, you are an eternal optimist.

Gary R
11-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll be there in the morning. As you can guess, I'm not in the market for a Force 5:) . I do look forward to seeing it run and talking with other producers.

ennismaple
11-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Ennis,
Why didnt you order it with the rig. I was told that they have orders to keep them busy till july of 2010.

To be honest - I thought it was included in the price I was quoted but it wasn't. Lesson learned - never "a$$"ume anything!

Dave Y
11-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Yes I Know what you mean. I did that with the shipping. then it was surprise!

jrthe3
12-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Dave Y what time do you plan on starting the fire i would like to get a look at the fire box with no fire to see how it works

Dave Y
12-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Jrthe3
I plan on firing early. I not sure if it will be running at 10am or if I will start then.

Dave Y
12-07-2009, 06:11 AM
I would like to remind any one that would like to come to Marienville Pa to see a Lapierre Force 5 operate,they are invited to come to my place on Dec 19. I watched one boil this past weekend. we had 45 min firing times and 1750degs in the fire box. the stack temps where around 650degs. very impressive.

Gary R
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Dave,

I drove by yesterday and didn't see any stacks up yet. Today I drove by and all three stacks were up. Looks impressive when you drive through town. Looking forward to seeing it run on Saturday.

KenWP
12-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Like I said only in PA. Next thing he will be running tubeing down the sidewalk to the sugar house .

Dave Y
12-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Gary,
My brother and I spent 11 hrs sunday putting them up. we did most of the work from inside off of scafolding. Had to move it 3 times. The hardest part was peeling the protective film off the stainless. And yes ken there will be tubing running down the side walk to the sugar house. Because here in Pa we know an opportunity when we see one.:)

Dave Y
12-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Saturday Matt Williams the manager at Lapierre USA and Steve Bedard , Lapierre's Market Manager will be at my boiling demo. They will be available to talk with and to answer questions. Steve will present a video that he made at The Maple Guy's with Rejean Laverdire the Force 5 inventor explaining the evaporator. Looks like we will have lot of good info for those of you who come. Hope to see you here!

Jim Brown
12-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks Dave for the invite Going to have to take a rain check have a dinner i must attend. Did I mention the dinner was at my place! Will have to take the word of GaryR,Sugarmaker,and Father and Son who plan to attend.

Thanks
Jim

walnutdalefarm
12-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Dave what are you doing logged in to the trader, shouldn't you be getting ready for tomorrow? I heard you haven't got your roof jacks on. The wife has been suggesting we should come up for the show, but with 7 inches of snow forecast for here tomorrow she may change her mind. Joel

mapleack
12-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Dave Y, wish I could be there, but I'm going to be ripping wet carpet out of one of my dad's rentals. He got called at 11:30 weds night to find out that water was running out of the house. It was vacant at the time, funace went out, broken pipes etc.

Dave Y
12-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Joel,
You may be getting snow but we wont be so you would run out of it before you get here! The stacks are through the roof storm collars are on just no jacks the will have to wait .

Andy,
Sorry you wont make I was looking forward to visiting wit you again. BTW I have some of thase wire ties you where looking for, if you still need them.

KenWP
12-18-2009, 05:56 PM
I can just see this the only sugar shack with parallel parking out front that or parking meters.

Dave Y
12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
KenWp
No meters, no painted parking spaces, Just driveway and berm.

walnutdalefarm
12-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Dave Y, I wasn't worried about the trip up, it's the trip back that concerned me. As of now we think we'll try and make it up but we may look out tomorrow and just hole up for the weekend. joel

Gary R
12-19-2009, 06:01 AM
No traffic lights, plenty of bars and a whole lot of great outdoors only a couple of blocks away:)

Steve O'Farrell
12-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Any word of yesterday Force 5 demo.

Steve O,Farrell
Lapierre equipment

Gary R
12-19-2009, 05:37 PM
The demo was today. There was a great turn out despite the poor weather. I was there for at least three hours. Dave only loaded wood three times during that time. Full boil the whole time. It was awesome seeing that rig take huge pieces of wood. 8-10" X 3' red oak. A great reduction in wood proccessing time and usage. Thank you Dave!

Dan W
12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I was there today also. Had to leave at 1:30.The guys from Lapierre were very helpful and answered all of my questions even though I have a Small Bros rig.That is a real nice set up you have Dave has I am sure you are going to have more fun than ever. Met Gary R and talked with Tapper for a while. All in all it was a great turnout and I am glad I could make it.

PS: Dave, it was a great gathering and I learned more today than I expected and please tell your wife the soup was PRIMO! Thanks for everything.

KenWP
12-19-2009, 07:12 PM
This has me curious. I take it you have to use little stuff to start this gizmo first. Must take a good bed of coals to start a 8 inch oak burning even with the help of forced air. How long does it take to get to a full boil where you can load the heavy wood.

Sugarmaker
12-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Dave Y,
Soup and sandwiches were very good tell the Mrs! I had a great time. Nice addition to your sugar house to hold this big rig. Very impressive boiling demo! I know you and your family worked hard to get things up for us. Met Jack F. too.

The force 5 was very impressive. I know you said that you had a boil in about 5 minutes from start up. And I liked the time between firings at 52 minutes. Lots of nice features on this evaporator. Like having the hood drains all running to the back of the evaporator!

You will have to look in to a auto draw off at 6 gallons of syrup per hour.
We also stopped at Jim Browns and Gary R and Daryl's on the way home.

Regards,
Chris c

Dave Y
12-20-2009, 06:39 AM
I would like to Thank all the good folks that came yesterday. Even in some mildly foul weather . I hope it gave a better under standing of what the Force 5 is, and who can benefit from one. as Sugarmaker stated we were firing every 52 minutes. we could have gone longer if we would have wanted. I was burning 4-10" red oak 30" long , unsplit, it was cut two yrs ago and brought in from the woods less than a month ago. I don't know what the boiling rate was as i do not have a flow meter on my set up. But from the way the pump was coming on I would think we where 175 -200 gph. I did not have the condensate drains plumb out side the hoods so that would cause a lower evaporation rate.
as far as the burning of big wood goes, once your fire is lite and has been burning at least 30 minutes you can put big wood in. you do not let the logs burn completely before re firing.

Dave Y
12-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Sugarmaker ,
sounds like you had a full day!!:)

jrthe3
12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
dave y had alot of fun it was a great demostration i would like to stop back down when you are boiling sap to see how it proforms

Low budget maple
12-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey Dave Sorry I missed the demo yesterday. The family had their Xmas party at one o'clock. I have a very supportive wife when it comes to my maple bug, but missing that party would have been over the top!! By the looks of all the post the day was full of info and fun. I am pre fabbing my new 14 by 16 shed in the garage now and hopfully it will go up on a nice day in Jan. Boil on !!

Dave Y
12-20-2009, 05:04 PM
guys feel free to stop by anytime. In or out of season.

walnutdalefarm
12-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Dave ,Thanks again for your hospitality and the demo. We had a great time and the drive home wasn't nearly as bad as the drive up. The manual came through great, thank you for that. joel

Dave Y
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
joel,
glad the trip home wasn't bad. You will start boiling before I do , if you would like I could come down when you start up for the season.

Father & Son
12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Dave Y,
Thanks for the jump start to sugaring season. Very impressive rig! The video I did of your presentation for Steve (the Lapierre Rep) turned out pretty good. Chase has it downloaded to our computer and as soon as I get the proper blank DVD's I'll burn a copy for you too.
Thanks for the hospitality and good eats,

Jim

Dave Y
12-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Jim,
Thank you and all of the other for you complements. and the Mrs thanks you!I would appreciate any photos that were taken.as you saw I did not have time to take any photos. tell Chase to keep up the good work in school and he will go far.

dave

steamvalleyFarms
12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Dave sorry I missed the big demonstration, My wife scheduled me for Christmas at the inlaws instead....Anyway I need start spending all my time getting your old rig set up. Let me know when you want to selll the new one!:)

Dave Y
12-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Steamvalley,
You better make some syrup first. if you had to talk her in to the first one. It will take the next 10 yrs to get to the second one.