PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Tank

steamvalleyFarms
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I have a 500 hundred gallon plastic tank with the valve about two inches up on the one side. Is it possible to put a valve in the bottom, so more sap will drain out more easily? If so do they make a special fitting/seal for this, or can I just use some silicon around a regular fitting.

Thanks,
Rob

maplecrest
11-12-2009, 04:27 PM
do you pump it out or drain by gravity? i put a fernco on the inside to reach the bottom of the inside of the tank and it drains much easier. but i pump it out thru that 2 inch drain

Father & Son
11-12-2009, 05:06 PM
The fitting you are looking for is called a bulkhead fitting. If you have a Tractor Supply in you area they carry them. If not look at www.norwesco.com under fittings.

Jim

brookledge
11-12-2009, 06:10 PM
If you can reach the bottom of the tank on the inside you could put a 90 degree elbow on the fitting and point it down so that as it drains it will syphon down lower than the valve
Keith

red maples
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM
ah now I know the name of that fitting when ever I need one I never knew what it was called I just ask for the fitting they put in rain barrels thanks. the ones used for hot applications called the same thing. like the conectiond on a pot or bottler?

KenWP
11-12-2009, 07:12 PM
If Hanyes is around he told me how to make a fitting for a SS pot that worked great. Involves a SS nipple and a couple of washers and a peice of gasket and dosn't leak and takes the heat just fine. I have used it a couple of times now including once with all copper fittings and beats trying to find bulkhead fittings around here. I did find a fitting made out of plastic and rubber at the wine makeing store that will work on smaller barrels and such.

Haynes Forest Products
11-12-2009, 07:17 PM
The only way you will get total drainage is if the tank is made with a DRAIN WELL. BUT the bulkhead is the next best way to go. As you are putting it in and your sitting there wondering WHAT THE (&^%&^%*&^%*&^% Why is the thread CC. It all makes sense when you screw another fitting into it. At the end of the season I remove the fitting so I can get a good cleaning done for total drainage. Plus the rubber goes in the inside of the tank. DO NOT use Silicone on the gasket its a dry fit:o

NH Maplemaker
11-12-2009, 09:43 PM
We have a large 450 gal white poly tank that we us as a head tank. I put a brass bathtub drain in the bottom of it and it works fine! It has been that way for 20 years. As Haynes said, it only drains about 99.9% with out something under the other end of the tank. Jim L.

steamvalleyFarms
11-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your help and ideas, I guess I need a bulk head fitting. I am planning on using the tank as a head tank, with gravity flow into my evaporator.

Rob