PDA

View Full Version : Fall Sugaring?

PARKER MAPLE
11-11-2009, 05:58 PM
So im still pretty new at all this sugaring stuff, but i remeber hearing about a couple of people that were going to try and tap this fall. just was wondering when you would start taping, and what to expect for runs. around here there are calling for nights in the 18 to 25 degree range for the 4-5 days, how much of a freeze up do you need before the sap starts running?
maple rookie

DrTimPerkins
11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
So im still pretty new at all this sugaring stuff, but i remeber hearing about a couple of people that were going to try and tap this fall.

The process of maple sap flow (or sap exudation as it is referred to in the science world) is driven by alternating freeze-thaw conditions. Whenever you get those conditions, whether in the spring or fall, you will get sap flow. Major difference is that the sap is not nearly as sweet in the fall as it is in the spring. You should not tap trees both in the fall and the spring....it's one or the other. Reaming of fall tapholes for spring produciton has not proven to be a terribly effective strategy.

Tim P.
UVM PMRC

Maple Ridge
11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
There is a thread on this site that talks about this, and that someone is doing that. He also mentioned that you can not tap the same trees in the spring.
Sunday Nov 8th, I went around and tested some of my trees and found a range of 1.5 to 4 Brix. I read an artical that you can get an idea on how the spring would look by this. I am sure it will be diferent in the spring, but not sure by how much. I am hoping for a better 2010 spring than last year.

vtmaplemaker
11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Dr Perkins, I have read some articles on fall tapping, There where a few producers on high vac, 24-25" that made close to 2/10 of a gallon per tap in the fall using Lapierre disposable 1/4" spouts, then reamed to 5/16 disposable in the spring and followed it up with 1/2 gal per tap average.. Will this have a long term effect on the tree even though there is only one wound in the tree the size of a typical tap hole??

Thanks,

Andy

DrTimPerkins
11-12-2009, 06:29 AM
There where a few producers on high vac, 24-25" that made close to 2/10 of a gallon per tap in the fall using Lapierre disposable 1/4" spouts, then reamed to 5/16 disposable in the spring and followed it up with 1/2 gal per tap average. Will this have a long term effect on the tree even though there is only one wound in the tree the size of a typical tap hole??

Not that we know of (as long as you're using the same hole), but the impacts of high sugar removal from trees is a topic of some interest. We're starting a pilot project on this subject in the spring.

The results you describe are atypical, but interesting.

Tim P.
UVM PMRC

The Birdman
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Major difference is that the sap is not nearly as sweet in the fall as it is in the spring.

Tim P.
UVM PMRC

I have some test taps in some cull trees that I didnt tap last year. I hope the sugar level is better in the spring 3% right now. 1.8 - 2 % last season would be happy if it stayed the same it still better than last year. Silver maple question do silver maple produce enough sugar to tap without a RO ?

backyardsugarer
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Depends on how desperate you are for sap. When I had 2,500 taps I would have never tapped a red or silver because they have a lower sugar content and bud early. Now that I am down to a few hundred if it was easy access I would consider it. If you do tap them tap early as they bud about 2 weeks before sugar maples.

Chris

dschultz
12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
My silvers averaged 2.7% last season

maplemat1
12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
i know someone that is tapped right now only about 750 out of 5500 .he boiled yesterday but said the sugar content was way down. maple rookie are you in andover ohio if so this guy is rigth around your cornar of the woods

red maples
12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
I got about 1/2 gallon in 1 bucket and a 1/2 cup in another bucket. only put out 2 buckets. enough to test for sugar content just have to go out and bring them back. I post my findings probably tomorrow.

red maples
12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Well I checked the suagr it was at about 1.5% so if it is that now hopefully it will be more than that in the spring!!! did cook it down and got like a little taste but it smelled good cooking mmmmm.