PDA

View Full Version : insulating arch

mike first timer
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
got my new evaporator was thinking might be easier to use ceramic blanket instead of arch board beause of the way the rivots come out inside arch.do you think 1/4 inch blanket #8 dens is enough or should i go 1/2 inch?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Go with at least 1/2", 1" would be better.

mike first timer
11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
if i go 1" with 1/2 brick how much space would i lose in my fire box? do u agree that it wouyld be easier useing the blanket instead of the board also is it alright to compress the blanket or is it like regular insulation?sorry for all the questions this is my first evap.

RileySugarbush
11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Don't compress the blanket. Like any insulation, the thickness is important.

I used half brick and arch board in my firebox, which has self tapping screws poking into the arch board. No problem. The rest of the arch is 1" thick 8# blanket. Again, no problem.

mike first timer
11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
so you just use firebrick and arch board in firebox then just blanket on every thing else with out the brick?

red maples
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
line your entire arch with arch board it says board but it is kinda like firm blanket. so rivets and bolts press right in to it. they actually help to hold it in place and it doen't compress or change shape like blanket.

then brick the entire arch with split bricks or full bricks over the arch board and cement it in with refractory cement just be sure to follow the directions on the container.

I used full bricks and the last row before the rail I used 1/2 or split bricks.

I fired mine up today to cure the cement and it worked beautifully. I think if you only brick it 1/2 way you will run into issues when you try to clean out the ashes which go all the way to the back of the arch.

but it is all preference.

Haynes Forest Products
11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
I would use the blanket in the flue section. So what if you get some ash built up in the blanket. What can it hurt its the ultamate fireproofing/insulation if it is building up to much you aint firing hard enough. Just make sure that the brick in the fire box will be taking all the hits from the wood.

In my oil fired I have 2-3 layers of the 1" And I did pat it down in places to sculpt the corners round.

forester1
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM
If rodents can access your evaporator in the off-season, they will use the blanket for nest material, not so with arch board.