PDA

View Full Version : Stack Ideas needed..

MASSEY JACK
11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I have built a new building.It is 20' x 60'. The back 20' x 20' section is for sugarin. It is 14 foot to the bottom of the trusses and 6 feet to the roof peak. It has a steel roof. I have a 4 foot space between the trusses to run a stack up through. I want to insulate and sheath this room as it will have radiant floor heat on a separate zone from the rest of the building. My evaporator is a 2.5 x 8. I have a 12 inch stack on it. I was thinking of putting metalbestos from say 3 or 4 feet below the ceiling to 4 feet above the roof. That would be about 12 or so feet of pipe. I found that they do make 12 inch metalbestos. I am afraid to ask the price. I am also wondering if it will take the heat. Most metalbestos chimneys go on woodstoves that don't run at 1000 degree stack temps for hours on end. The sugar house section will not be heated or insulated this year but I will be setting it up. Also, a friend offered me some 12 inch or bigger by 20 foot cast iron pipe. I could put it up either inside or outside for a chimney. Thought maybe I could wrap it with ceramic wool and some thin stainless up through the rafters. What are everyones' thoughts?????????

maplecrest
11-09-2009, 06:59 PM
jack you could box the smoke stack section like i did in my sugar house i used fire rated sheet rock being oil fired but i bet you could use cement board or something with enough air space between rafters

PARKER MAPLE
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
just to give you an idea, we tried to us a piece of 8in snow makeing pipe(cast) for our deer camp wood stove. it was so heavy that three guys could barely lift it. i dont know how you would suspend it over your arch. i guess you could weld something up if you did decide to go that way. all i know is its extreamly heavy. good luck
maple rookie

brookledge
11-09-2009, 09:04 PM
If you are worried about the heat then I'd recommend using ceramic blanket. If you just use another piece of steel around your stack it will absorb and radiate the same heat, Whereas the insulation around the stack will reduce the amount of heat transfered.
Keith

Maplewalnut
11-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Massey,

I did the same thing you are thnking about with no problems. From my base stack I ran black stove pipe to about 2 feet below my roof penetartion. (There is an adaptor that is made to go from black stove pipe to metalbestos). I then ran 10 inch metalbestos through the roof line and outside another 6 feet or so. I did wrap the trusses at the roof with blanket but not even sure I needed it. I have had no problems at all. The adaptor makes for a seamless transition. With only a few feet within the sugarhouse the close proximity to the outside cold air helps cool the pipe if you use a roof jack and sorm collar to get good air flow.

Mike