PDA

View Full Version : Block Evap Almost There Update w/pics

valleyman
11-09-2009, 08:24 AM
A little update to share. Based on advise and trial and error I've redone the stack/flue exit out the back. I still need to get the stack support in place. Also I worked on the rail supports (made from a bedframe) to hold the pans. Secured w/steel rivets for now. I'm going to put some rail gasket on as well. The rear wall needs to have some additional fire brick.
Thanks for all the help and enjoy the pics.

C.Wilcox
11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Looks Good! Looks way better than my set up from last year. One question I have is do you have any kind of restrictor that will go in front of the chimney opening in the arch? Or do your pans sit down below the level of the chimney opening? Based on my experiences from last year with a very similar set up I would think you're going to have too much heat exiting via the smoke stack before it has a chance to heat your back pans (unless the pans sit low enough in the arch that the heat has to go around them to get out). You want the flames/heat to be forced up against the bottom of your pans and not shortcut straight out the pipe. Just a thought.

valleyman
11-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Now that I think about it, the pans do sit low and block the direct exit out the stack. The back edge of the rear pan sits about 3" from the stack exit. Will this setup work well or any ideas to improve? (Here I go--- again).

valleyman
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Forgot to ask this in my last reply.

I'm thinking about using some refractory cement and cementing to the underside some foam arch insulation cut to fit the pan supports.

On the top side of the supports I'm going to use either the ceramic rail gasket or the "rope" based on past suggestions. My thinking is that by insulating the underside, this will minimize warping. Am I thinking correctly or is this overkill?

3rdgen.maple
11-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Valleyman they make a gasket that you put a peice of flat steel in the middle of it. It is used to go between the pans on a conventional arch. I think that may save you some trouble or time if you can find it at a dealer.

KenWP
11-10-2009, 06:14 AM
I would sugest some kind of support for the angle iron on the sides in the middle also. That light angle irons going to get hot and sag with out it. With all those pans with sap in them on top of glowing hot steel your going to have problems.

swierczt
11-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I would sugest some kind of support for the angle iron on the sides in the middle also. That light angle irons going to get hot and sag with out it. With all those pans with sap in them on top of glowing hot steel your going to have problems.

I agree, Those rails may need to be beefed up a bit...at least test it with your pans filled with water and a good hard boil going in them for a few hours and see if they start to sag before you fill them with sap. Better to find out now rather than in February. I made that mistake on my arch and was stuffing insulation all over the place to try to keep the fire in. Once things heat up, they can expand, strech, sag tremendously.

Pete S
11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Valleyman!

Thank you so much for sharing the photos! This is wonderful!

I have a 2 x 3 flat pan and a pre-heat pan coming,............so setting a block evaporator for spring this fall. (Later to build a shack)

NO MORE lasaga pan with a nesco pre-heat pan,.............on a steel box!

Typical boil rate of 2.3 gph. :-(

BUT we made syrup for 3+ years on it!

Thanks again for sharing!

Pete

valleyman
11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey Pete,
Your Welcome!
It's the least I can do. Everyone on this sight is so helpful and they're suggestions have been a tremendous help even though you guys bring me back to the drawing board again and again. I dont know how many times l told my wife "Honey finally done". Then I show some pics on this sight and get more useful suggestions and I'm out there refining the evaporator.:)

I gently dropped the idea of " a temporary" shelter on her just this past weekend when she saw the metal roofing material in her van. Oh boy, here we go again.:lol:

Pete S
11-11-2009, 06:18 PM
This "maple" bug is an awesome hobby/passion,...............obsession,...........sickne ss.

Better'n sittin' in a bar!

Looking to start building my dry stack evaporator just after Thanksgiving. By then should have dead deer, dead turkey, and time, along with a bit of frost.

Glad you didn't patent yer build!