PDA

View Full Version : sugaring course in ct

ctjim
11-08-2009, 06:36 AM
not too sure if this is the right forum for this but, i plan on taking this formal course on sugaring, until now my only sugaring education came from books and this site. i figure this is a good way to get some more knowledge.
http://www.ct.gov/dep/Goodwin

brookledge
11-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Looks like it is a good course for the beginner. I had to learn by myself as my father new how to make syrup but never had a sugarhouse. My grandfather made some but only for family use. Back in those days during the depresion you could't afford cane sugar.
The Lamothes sugarhouse in Burlington Ct. does classes on making candy and cream.
I hope you learn from the class and $40 isn't that much
Keith

Saw Filer
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
ctjim,
I think this would be a very good course as I know some of the people who will be giving the demonstrations and they know their stuff,and they make good sugar! Have fun!

george

Logscaler
11-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Most of what I learned in college regarding forestry and sugaring came from Steve B. Can't go wrong taking this course. How about you George - You going?

Saw Filer
11-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Don't think the boys and I will be able to make this one, sorryto say, unless I come down with some uncureable disease-HEY, wait a minute!
george

Logscaler
11-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Well, you already have the maple bug - no cure for that I'm afraid!!

Seguin Sugarbush
11-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Can someone tell us what is the simplest way to export syrup stateside from ontario.Or is there so much red tape that we are waisting our time
Dan Seguin

fishercatwoodchuck
11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
If the value of the syrup is under $2000 u.s. then you can do whats called an informal entry. Also for any food products coming to the U.S. you need to get FDA prior notice approval. Basically you go to google and type in "filing prior notice" and take it from there. When you get to the border present the FDA prior notice and tell them you need to fill out a CF 7523 "informal entry". If it's over $2000 you would need to go through a Customs Broker and set up an account and they would walk you through the rest. Also you could find a carrier that is already set up and have them bring it in for you. Just one thing to remember with the informal entry is to make sure the syrup has already been bought by the u.s. person.