PDA

View Full Version : Maple syrup blend labeling

gmcooper
11-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Last weekend we were in PA eating at Cracker Barrel. I took a look at syrup they had as I knew they are now a blend and where it comes from or at least did. Label read 100% Natural / Pure. I didn't write down the exact wording but just below was the ingrediant list with 55% maple syrup and 45% corn syrup.
Where do they get natural or pure out of a maple syrup and corn syrup blend? Yes 55% + 45% = 100%
If this was being marketed by a "little guy" I would expect nothing short of a swat team at the door the next day.

3rdgen.maple
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
GM are you sure it said pure? If it just said natural the lable is just a little verbage to trick you into thinking it is (pure maple syrup) See corn syrup is natural and so is maple syrup. Which makes it natural not pure.

gmcooper
11-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Trying to post pic of bottle: http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/online/shopping/PopLargerImage.asp?Sku=303540&Name=100% Pure Natural Syrup

vermaple
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Sounds like they are getting around maple laws by calling it Natural Syrup, not Maple Syrup.

maple maniac65
11-08-2009, 11:16 AM
check the label if it is bottled by Maple Grove it has the VT stamp of approval on this. Check the history of why Maple Grove started bottling a blend and why some places like Cracker Barrell did not switch back to 100% maple when the supply was filled again.

gmcooper
11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I know the story with Maple Grove and why they stayed with blend. Jerry did a good job passing the info. I know Cracker Barrel would have created their own label and with no sales outlets in VT i'm guessing they didn't need state Vt approval either.

Funny thing was at both Cracker Barrells we ate at neither had any prices on the syrup! Syrup was placed about 5' up on the shelf. Not a high profile location.

KenWP
11-08-2009, 01:21 PM
one of the big syrup companies here put a syrup on the shelves this spring that had people buying like crazy. The can looks like a maple can and of course says syrup on it so people figured it was maple. No place on the can does it actually say maple anything but people thought they were seeing maple untill they tasted it or actually read the label correctly. It has a tiney bit of maple in it they say but they don;t put it on the label just says sugers and such. Turns out they spent 1000's to make advetiseing that was supposed to say it wasn't maple without actually saying it wasn't maple.

brookledge
11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
the syrup in that bottle is pure syrup and it is 100% natural. No where does it say pure maple syrup or pure corn syrup other than to list it at 55/45. And both syrups are natural
So most consumers are deceived into thinking it is 100% pure maple syrup
Keith

3rdgen.maple
11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
There plan worked good it even got a sugarmaker thinking? I hope you sent it back and demanded 100% pure MAPLE syrup:)