PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Pump Question

Littlesap
11-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey guys,

This is my second year sugaring and will expand from 30 to 100 taps. Plan to put at least 75 on tubing and have a question about getting the sap from my collection tank to the tank on my sap hauler (Polaris Ranger) and then from there to the tank behind the sugar house. I can figure out a way to do it manually with a five gallon pail but wondering if anyone has recommendations on a a pump that can be run by battery, the battery on the ranger or gasoline. I may or may not be able to collect sap every day so it could be more than one flow worth of sap that I need to transfer.

Any thoughts?

Littlesap
11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Yikes, I posted this in the wrong thread, got caught up searching the tubing thread for an answer to my question... rookie mistake.

C.Wilcox
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
A real simple set up is just a bilge pump for a boat. It will run off of 12V power and some of the faster models will move quite a volume of sap, 800-1200 gal/hr.

brookledge
11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
You could use a pump like this
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_16817_16817&issearch=109735
Or do a search and look for simular pump
You will find that if you go with a small gas pump it will pump faster but will also cost more
Keith

Russell Lampron
11-06-2009, 05:23 PM
The 12 volt bilge pumps work good. There are alot of them to choose from on ebay. I made up an adapter so that I can plug it into the lighter socket on my 4 wheeler.

Maplebrook
11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I use the same as Brookledge on my ATV. Plugs into the lighter socket. Works great. Comes with extra rubber impellers.
Mine came from...http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/index/Ntt/3125326

Haynes Forest Products
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I used a bilge pump for years. Mount it on a piece of PVC with hose clamps so you can hold it in place at the bottom of the tank I also put a switch at the top of the PVC/handle so you can shut it off. Plus a check valve at the bottom will keep alot of sap from running out the hose as you pull it out and run to the next tank. I then would hold it up over the tank to drain the extra sap at the end of the day so it doesnt freeze at night.

Littlesap
11-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys. I've been away for a bit, appreciate the suggestions, I will look for one of the pumps you suggested.

Littlesap

Brent
11-14-2009, 11:02 AM
we collect on a JD Gator and put a 5 gallon pail on the floor under the passenger seat. With a Rule 2000 bilge pump we transfer up to a pair of 35 gallon tanks in the cargo box. With that pump you can pour in one pail and by the time you've turned around to pick up the next pail it's almost done with the first one. Fast enough and avoids having to lift the pails to chest height and try to reach to the holes on the bigger tanks in the cargo box. Also lets you fill the collection pails a bit closer to the top because the open pail with the pump is easy to pour into. We just us the cigarette light plug to stop - start. Never seemed to have any effect on the battery.

Sugarmaker
11-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Brent,
I agree, Have used the 12 v. RULE brand pumps for several years and they work very nice.
I think we have a 2700 and a 3700.
Regards,
Chris