PDA

View Full Version : Cupola question

heus
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Was planning on using my 2x6 steamhood and stack in my new 22x16 sugarhouse. I changed my mind and added a 2.5x6 cupola this past week. I had to cut out the extsing metal roofing and plywood sheathing for the opening. My question is, would it be ok to not worry about flashing the sides and ends of the cupola? The hemlock siding will eventually overhang the existing roof by about 2-3 inches. There will just be an air gap between the metal roof ridges.
How weathertight is evryone's cupola? Is it normal to have some rain blow in during a storm?
I realize it would be alot easier if I had photos but not sure how to post them.
Oh yeah, still waiting for my 2x6 Phaneuf

3% Solution
11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
heus,
Your right there, might just as well flash it and have it done with.
Rain will splatter up under the siding and will leak in.
Eventually rotting the roof boards and framing.
Ours is weather tight with flashing.
Yes we do have a bit of rain come in when the wind is blowing and a bit of snow sometimes, too.

Dave

3rdgen.maple
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
There are weather seals that you can get with adhesive on bothside that are shaped to fit the ridges on the metal roof. Stick them betweenon the bottom of the coupla and the top of the metal they work very well. Of course if the coupla is already installed it might be a little tricky.

KenWP
11-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Was planning on using my 2x6 steamhood and stack in my new 22x16 sugarhouse. I changed my mind and added a 2.5x6 cupola this past week. I had to cut out the extsing metal roofing and plywood sheathing for the opening. My question is, would it be ok to not worry about flashing the sides and ends of the cupola? The hemlock siding will eventually overhang the existing roof by about 2-3 inches. There will just be an air gap between the metal roof ridges.
How weathertight is evryone's cupola? Is it normal to have some rain blow in during a storm?
I realize it would be alot easier if I had photos but not sure how to post them.
Oh yeah, still waiting for my 2x6 Phaneuf

You can also use those aresol cans of foam insulation. It is amazeing where a good storm will put water if your not carefull.

maple flats
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
remember too that the last thing you want is to have some dirty roof drainings dripping into your pans if it falls in when you have the hood open.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-10-2009, 11:10 AM
There are weather seals that you can get with adhesive on bothside that are shaped to fit the ridges on the metal roof. Stick them betweenon the bottom of the coupla and the top of the metal they work very well. Of course if the coupla is already installed it might be a little tricky.

I actually installed these a couple of years after my building was finished and roof installed as I got tired of ash blowing back in. I miss the extra venting around the ridge cap, but can't have everything perfect. I just pulled off adhesive tape and screwed out screws on ridge cap enough to lift it up a little and put screws back in place.