PDA

View Full Version : % brix in sap

maplefarmer
11-02-2009, 08:17 PM
what is the device called that would measure the, i think it is % brix in sap, so i could check diff. between sugar and silver. does most syrup makers have one of these, or is it something you need to send to a lab to gauge sugar content

tuckermtn
11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
sap hydrometer- I have one-a manual, floating one- you can get one at most maple equipment dealers.

but will likely be getting a digital one this season.

Maple Hugger
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi MapleFarmer.
I believe the device you are referring to is a hydrometer. There are some hydrometers that are made to test the sap before boiling and some hydrometers that test the actual syrup. 66-67 brix is purrrrrrfect syrup.

3rdgen.maple
11-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Refractometer is the device that measures the sugar content in sap. The sap hydrometer works as well but a refractometer is the cats meow.

Gary R
11-03-2009, 05:31 AM
There is the short stem and long stem hydrometer. Both are around $10. The short stem I feel is useless. You can only read the scale to about every 1%. The long stem works well, but you need a long column of sap. A full 5 gal. bucket or make a cylinder out of 2" PVC pipe. Less sap needed to read the content.

Refractometer is nice. Cheap ones off of Ebay are about $30. Not so sure about there accuracy though. But they are easy to use and will give you a good idea of the % from each tree. Only a drop or two of sap is needed.

Haynes Forest Products
11-03-2009, 08:41 AM
If your going to use a hydrometer spend the money for a SS cup that has a good base and side hook. Takes very little syrup to test is easy to clean.

caseyssugarshack93
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
If you are going to be testing sap % tree to tree you want a Refractometer because you only need a drop of sap to test