PDA

View Full Version : Welding on stainless question

Keyes Hollow Gold
11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I have a 2'X4' stainless steel industrial sink that has a threaded(inside) drain hole that extends down about one inch in the middle of the pan.
I was wondering if I can weld regular steel to the bottom of the stainless steel drain hole and if it would hold?

Haynes Forest Products
11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
yes no problem BUT it will rust up as you know. I have mig welded alot of SS to general steel sheet. I used the regular wire not ss.

Keyes Hollow Gold
11-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks, I figured I might just solder the inside of the drain hole(to cover the regular steel) to keep it from rusting.

Fred Henderson
11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
If a magnet will stick to it you can use regular rod.

twobears1224
11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
want me to send you a little square of stainless steel to use instead?? i will!!

delbert

KenWP
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I haunt garage sales and pick up a lot of ss junk just to cut up for fixing things. For 10 cents I can buy a ss tray that has no use as a tray but great for many hole patchs. I also bought a bunch of different size SS cups to solder or weld in the big drain hole of a sink on order to increas the surface area. Found a SS exhaust pipe also that I plan on welding to the top of the sink hole and run the stack of the evapotator thru in order to make a preheater.

snohiker
11-02-2009, 09:38 PM
as twobears said if im closer ill give you a pc as well you wouldn't believe what we scrap in the shop

Keyes Hollow Gold
11-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the offers. I'll probably find some around somewhere. I'm kinda new to all this and haven't been able to find any yet. I do have a couple old SS pots that I'm trying not to tear apart. I still need to find some material for dividers. Anyone know of any good places to get scrap SS in the Claremont area?

NH Maplemaker
11-03-2009, 06:40 AM
What size are looking for? Jim L.

michelle32
11-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Go to the local dump and look in the constrution dumpster. Then ask if they get any more in if they would put them aside for you.

Keyes Hollow Gold
11-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Go to the local dump and look in the constrution dumpster. Then ask if they get any more in if they would put them aside for you.

I have been hovering over the dump, but I think the guy that works there is on to anything worth keeping.

Keyes Hollow Gold
11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
What size are looking for? Jim L.

I'm looking for a small heavy piece(3"x3") for the drain and a couple pieces for dividers that would probably be around 4'6"x12".

michelle32
11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Ride around wolpole or one of the bigger towns over there talk to constrution sites. They through everything away. You can check with other sugar shacks over there. You have Clarks (Dave and Alvin) just before you get to Bascoms.They may have something kicking around. I now he had one his tanks shot full of holes a couple years back. If you can't find anything i'll look over here. My ex lives at clarks and my son could drop it off if I can find something.

Keyes Hollow Gold
11-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Ride around wolpole or one of the bigger towns over there talk to constrution sites. They through everything away. You can check with other sugar shacks over there. You have Clarks (Dave and Alvin) just before you get to Bascoms.They may have something kicking around. I now he had one his tanks shot full of holes a couple years back. If you can't find anything i'll look over here. My ex lives at clarks and my son could drop it off if I can find something.

Big_Eddy
11-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Someone once suggested to find out where the milk trucks go to get repaired when they back into the corner of the barn (AGAIN!) Nice bright shiny stainless, and they cut out the whole panel and replace it. Restaurant renos are a great source of scrap stainless for me - just look in the dumpsters out back.

wegnerwelding
11-04-2009, 07:12 PM
If you are going to weld mild steel to stainless use 309 ss wire. I have 18 and 22 ga. Stainless that I can shear to size if needed.

KenWP
11-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Where does one find 309SS wire. The metal of a milk truck would be pretty thick to work with. Fine for patchs but to do much else would be a pain.

wegnerwelding
11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
That you will probably get at a welding supply house. Airgas, praxair, or weld specialty is what we have around here. 309 is made specificly for ss to mild steel welding.

KenWP
11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
That you will probably get at a welding supply house. Airgas, praxair, or weld specialty is what we have around here. 309 is made specificly for ss to mild steel welding.

Okay what would one use to weld SSto SS. This is with a arc welder.

wegnerwelding
11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Use an E308 electrode for ss to ss arc weldind.