PDA

View Full Version : Arch Board

flatlander
02-01-2005, 09:06 AM
New here. Glad to have found your site. I am in the process of setting up a new to me, used 2 X 6. It was lightly used and the bricks were never cemented. Since I doubt refractory cement would bond to the used brick, I am contemplating using one inch thick arch board insulation to line the arch and then install the brick without refractory cement. Does anyone have an opinion on my proposed technique? Thank you.

Al
02-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Here's what I did don't know if it's right or wrong but we'll see soon enough. I took my bricks out of my arch and using a steel wire brush brushed off the bricks. Then I washed them off in a bucket and let them dry. I've since but them back in and the cement seems to have taken. We'll see after the first big boil how it holds up.
Hope this helps.
Take care and good luck.

DirtPoor
02-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Using the 1'' board will narrow the fire box to much , line the arch with 1/2'' cermaic blanket , then put your bricks in, the blanket will compress and insulate , and you can use your bricks with no refractory cement.
Good luck.

forester1
02-01-2005, 02:52 PM
I used the arch board with 1/2 size firebick on the sides. I used full size on the bottom and baffles. My brick was all used brick, some over 70 years old since it came out of a boiler for one of Henry Fords sawmills. It bonded fine.

lmathews
02-03-2005, 05:28 AM
hi,
i am adding a question to the thread. other than more insulating what does the arch board do? does it help the efficiency of the arch?or does it just keep the heat in off the sheet metal?
thank you lee

mapleman3
02-03-2005, 06:14 AM
both... the heat off the sheet metal lets the arch last longer. and keeps the heat in the arch for better boiling

Seibold's Sugarhouse
02-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I have a couple of questions:

When you install arch board how do you secure it to the sides of the arch? Cement?? Also do you line the entire arch or just the firebox? I have my new arch but didn't buy enough board for the whole arch and I don't think I can find anymore around my location (Bought the board with the arch in NH) Also how do you spread the cement on the board without damaging it? ( I assume you spread the cement on the backside of the bricks then put them in place?)
Thanks for any help, I just want to make sure I do this right

Jason

forester1
02-14-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure either if there is a right way Jason. This is what I did. I just cut the arch board to fit tight by itself on the sides and bottom. I cemented the bricks to each other, not the arch board. I'm not sure the cement would bond to the arch board anyway. The board will stay in there by itself. If you have gaps, just cut a piece to fit tight and it should stay.

forester1
02-14-2005, 06:55 PM
I forgot to say if you don't have enough then do the entire front first including the ramp up to the flue pan and front sides, then the back sides. I would do the back bottom last. You could just use brick without board for that and fill with vermiculite if it is a raised flue, and cover the vermiculite with ceramic blanket to keep it from getting blown up the stack. There might be other ideas on this but that's how I did mine.

forester1
02-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I see on your other posts you got a dropped flue. Forget all that stuff about vermiculite.

Seibold's Sugarhouse
02-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks Jerry