PDA

View Full Version : size wire for 60 amps

tuckermtn
10-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I am getting ready to run wire for the RO- it has what I would call a "range" type three blade/one round plug. I was told by previous owner it needed a 60 amp plug. it will be in an insulated room in my barn

I was thinking of running rigid metal conduit from main panel to an outlet in small room. Its approx. 50 ft from the panel.

What size wire should I run in the conduit? I have seen 6 ga copper? should I run it as individual wires or is there bundled wire?

thanks

Haynes Forest Products
11-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Running a bundle wire in a conduit is a royal pain and a waste of money. If your buying new then go with the right guage for the unit and then the right size plug. A 60 amp plug will only fit a 60 amp socket thats why there are so dang many shapes, plug size and angles of the prongs. Why use a plug? why not hard wire it in? will you be moving it around after install?

Fred Henderson
11-01-2009, 06:02 AM
If the is any part of that RO that use 120 volts then you should run 4 wires. Are you sure that it is 60 and NOT 50 amps. If it is 60 than you should use #4 wire and you can use alu. I will be a lot cherper than cooper. Also use PVC for the condiut. Much easier to work with than steel.

tuckermtn
11-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Haynes- so you are saying just run individual red,black, white, + ground wire -
it looks like 6ga is what I've seen on other forums...

and I was considering hard-wiring it but it came with a plug so I figured I would look for the receptical...we may eventaully move the RO to the sugarhouse once we get power there and build a good room for it...

802maple
11-01-2009, 06:13 AM
In my several years of servicing RO's I ran across 3 machines with plug ins that eventually became problems, mostly because of the moisture that is in a RO room in the form of corrosion. I will say that there are alot of machines out there with plug ins that never have problems,but I would just hard wire it in.

tuckermtn
11-01-2009, 07:54 AM
fred- funny your should ask...the plug on the unit is for a 50 amp connect- but the literature from the RO says 60 amp service. And I just happen to have a 60 amp disconnect/switch kicking around from a vac pump project a few years back- so it will be hard wired.

Fred- also thanks for the heads up on the alum and poly conduit...

Haynes Forest Products
11-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Tuckermtn Yes I would go with seperate wires. Plus look at the precut wire at HD and see if they have cuts that are cheaper and remember you can always use bigger wire. If you have a bubby that works for the power comp. they have house loop wire in short lengths that will work. I would opt for running a breaker box with the 60 AMP and then going to the RO and having extra outlets for the heater and lights. You can NEVER have to much power, outlets, drains or valves:)

maple flats
01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
If you have not yet done the wiring, here is a formula and a suggestion based on that formula. Use a (V)oltage (D)rop (I)ndex calculation, (VDI). For an electric motor you don't want much drop. Probably only 1 or 2% unless your voltage in is always high. The formula is VDI= (AMPS x FEET) / (% VOLTAGE DROP x Voltage) or (60 x 50) / (1 x 240). = 3000/240= 12, (rounded) The VDI chart shows 6 ga copper or 4 ga alumnium and you are good to go but you are right at the limit. If 1.25% voltage drop is ok, those gages are even better. If your starting voltage is less, use that number to calculate. If you are going farther than 50' use that. After making these adjustments if the VDI is above 12 but not over 20 you should use 4ga copper or 2 ga aluminum. PM me if you have any questions.

whalems
01-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Asked my brother (he is an electrician) he says #6 copper for 60 amps . Hope this helps.