PDA

View Full Version : New woods toy

Rhino
10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Buying a used prentice knuckleboom loader/trailer. Hitches up to the tractor and runs off of the tractor hydrolics. Priced some valby and anderson log loader trailers but were way to $$$$$. $17.000-$24.000 depending on model and x-tras. My question for all you guys who know alot about hydrolics is... I want to mount a gas motor and pump on this unit so it can be used behind my dump truck or atv. what size and flow rate of pump and motor will i need. I want the knucklboom to operate quickly so take that into consideration. thanks.

Fred Henderson
10-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Take a look at Hudson forest products. I think you can get some ideas there. Do a search for thier web site.

BarrelBoiler
10-31-2009, 02:03 PM
rhino... I used to drive a selfloader log truck and have run prentiss "F" model (270 degree rotation on the boom) 110 (500degree rotation) and 120 ( continous rotation) the loaders want about 2500 psi to work well. your prentiss dealer can probably tell you how much HP is needed (i vaguely remember somewhere around 60 minimum)some reserve HP would be a good idea so the power plant is not maxed out. you will want/need a dual pump if your not getting the pump with the unit. my truck had a 3208 cat in it and i run the rpm's between 1000 and 1200 when usng the loader at 1000 it was sluggish and over 1200 the engine was going way to fast for the amunt of work being done, under 1000 it was easy to stall the engine. just rolling down the road this engine run around 22-2400.
CAUTIONS: you mentioned useing this behind an ATV the prentiss loaders were meant to be mounted on a truck frame. they are well built and heavy i would not put it behind any ATV i have seen. quickness depends on stability, stability on a good base. having it mounted on a trailer the loaders ability to lift, swing, and stop will be less then when mounted on a truck. the truck lends it weight, and wheelbase to the stablity of the loader while in use with the trailer the weight is less and only the out riggers are stablizing the unit. logs are heavy and with an 18-20 foot boom there is alot of leaverage exerted on the base of the unit. i tried to pick up an oak log once and stood my truck on the outrigger and outside wheels on flat ground. you could have changed the other side with out a jack. had to drag the log closer and than load it. quicknees also come from getting use to the unit ram and slam leads to brakage and repairs
i have probably stepped on enough toes for now a guy near me had a setup like that ,never got to ask how it worked, it was mounted on an old truck frame towed by a 100 horse or better JD 4WD tractor...my nickles worth

maple flats
10-31-2009, 03:05 PM
You'll need to determin the GPM and pressure needed. The pressure should be labeled on the rig if it still has a tag. Keep the pressure close to max for best lift potential. Hook it to your tractor and try it, if the speed is good find the tractor flow, if too slow decide how much faster you want and pro rate it from tractor flow. This should get you fairly close. Realize that each pump has a HP requirement to generate the stated gpm and pressure once you guestimate the needs of the equipment. Unless you are doing this very regular the speed desire may be tempered by the price to accomplish it. You will find it so much faster than other methods even at slower speeds, but don't cut on pressure.

Fred Henderson
10-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry the link didn't work

tuckermtn
10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Rhino - got any pictures? I think if its like the ones I have seen, they don't need a ton of juice- perhaps a 11-13 hp honda and good pump. but post some pics...

lpakiz
10-31-2009, 10:30 PM
A rule of thumb I remember is one gasoline HP for every gallon per minute flow at 1500 PSI

Rhino
11-01-2009, 07:12 AM
BarrelBoiler, This prentice loader is a factory made trailer with the knuckleboom loader,stabilizer legs, the whole nine yards. If I can get it to have a self contained power unit mounted on it my honda rubicon will pull it if I dont get to greedy with the load. I think these were made in the 60's. The model is a ts1 and they were primarily meant back then to be pulled with small dozers such as a john deere 1010. The tractor I would use is a 70 horse and that is what the previous owner used. I am going to pick it up hopefully this week, The previous owner is putting new hoses on it. I would guess the boom reach is around 14 to 16 feet. Once again I have to learn how to post pictures. I,m looking forward to useing this unit not only for the loading/hauling but also chunking the wood as the clam is holding the wood about thigh high. Wood will also be more free of mud. There is a picture of one on a prentice web site, that one has tandem wheels, the one i got is a single.

Rhino
11-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Double checked on where I seen a picture of one... If you google prentice ts1 trailing skidder and click on a Leo Heikinen web site you will see columns of old pictures to look at. Wish mine would have the tandems like the one in the picture.

tuckermtn
11-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I ran a Patu forwarding trailer on a 25pto hp Kubota that had 6 gpm of hydralic flow (not sure of psi, but prob. 1500) and it ran just fine. I think you would be good with 7-10 gpm- I have seen nice set-ups where the motor, pump and tank are mounted in a box on the tongue with a plate you could stand on and run the levers...

Haynes Forest Products
11-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Rhina Speed is nice to a point. I ran a loader for a few years and I can tell you that the faster it ran the faster I got in trouble. Plus things tend to break quicker. Having a good bypass/cusion valve will take some of the hammering out of the unit and allow you to speed it up or slow it down. If your redoing the Hydraulics you can put a speed controller on it. 2 speed/stage pumps are nice for both worlds

BarrelBoiler
11-01-2009, 03:08 PM
ahhh yes i have seen those pictures while surffing the net totally different animal then what came to mind when i read your post.:emb: the folks out where you live started with fowarder type things sooner than most the guy up here put a 110 loader on a truck frame and thats what popped up in my head good luck, have fun, stay safe:)