PDA

View Full Version : Surge SP-11

Parker
02-01-2005, 05:02 AM
I got a surge sp-11 from wdchk a while ago,,time to start thinking about setting it up,,,how fast should I be turning it??? I have a honda with a 6 to 1 gear reduction on my wood convayor,,,the pump has an 11 inch pulley on it would that work out????also what type of oil do I run in it,,,,any littel tricks to a piston pump??? thanks,,,

pegjam
02-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Parker:

Use vaccum oil, you can get this at any TSC store, or from IBA. Also max RPM is 1750. Easy way to figure pump RPM is: motor RPM * motor pulley OD/pump pulley OD = pump RPM. The higher the pump RPM the more CFM you pull; but the higher the vacuum, the less you pull. In otherwords: if you were to have vacuum of 15", you would pull 20-25 CFM; But: if you wanted 20-25" you would only pull 10-15 CFM. Also you want to keep in mind that the higher the vacuum, the larger the motor needed to run the pump, and with gas engines you need to oversize the motor to equal what an electric motor would do. If you normally use a 3HP electric, you should plan on a 5HP gas engine to do the same amount of work. (the pump RPM formula above is from the Parts Department catalog.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

pegjam

"Hope it helps, can't hurt"

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-01-2005, 01:24 PM
post deleted

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-03-2005, 06:56 AM
post deleted

Parker
02-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I have looked at it befor and never seen an easy way to take it off, I would hate to mess it up {wich is what I usally do} as I use the convayor all summer,,,I was thinking that type of pump was supposed to turn very slow,,I have been looking around for another moter,,,$326 in northern hydraulics,,,I also need to buy-make moisture trap,,any ideas?

wdchuck
02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Hey Parker! Just thought I'd toss in my few cents worth. Check out this link for the specs on that pump- it may take a few pages, but its in there. http://www.adds.org/CGI-BIN/om_isapi.dll?clientID=21613&advquery=milking%20machine%20vacuum%20pump%20capac ities&infobase=Dairy%20InfoBase%204.0&record={48984}&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg&x=51&y=14

I think I would use synthetic motor oil in that unit- it wont be so thick on the cool mornings and wont break down when it gets hot. As for rotary pumps, I use tranny fluid- a friend of my Dad's who used to be a Surge dealer told him that trick and I've had no problems.

As for your motor- check this out- it should save you a few bucks:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=296&R=296

And how about making your moisture trap out of PVC sewer pipe? I dont see why that wouldnt work- ****, I'm cheap! Or is that just thrifty?

Parker
02-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Wdchk- what would you use for ends on the sewer pipe? Parker

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-04-2005, 07:23 AM
post edited

mapleman3
02-04-2005, 07:32 AM
great Idea Thanks Kevin.. looks like I will be building that also this weekend!!!.. ok now to make a list of all the projects for this weekend!!

I'll make up your sap bag holder this weekend too and get it out to you.. you said 1 1/2 " correct?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-04-2005, 07:37 AM
post edited

mapleman3
02-04-2005, 07:46 AM
I'll fax you the 100 hehe 8)

pegjam
02-04-2005, 08:24 AM
When you build your moisture trap don't forget to put a ball in there to shut off the vacuum, or it won't do you any good! :lol: :lol: :lol:.

peggjam
"Hope it helps, can't hurt".

pegjam
02-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Never mind :oops: :oops: :oops:. I figured out what you were up to after I read it again. Kinda neat idea. :oops: :oops: :oops:, :lol: :lol: :lol:.

pegjam
"Hope it helps, can't hurt."

mapleman3
02-04-2005, 08:36 AM
it would have to be a heavy enough ball so it won't get sucked up the pipe 8O

syrupmaker
02-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Kevin.....is the 6" length of pipe on the bottom enough resivoir? I'm useing the one that came with the pump right out of the barn which is 6"dia and 18" long. On some days i will dump out 2 quarts of water easy. If the bottom fills up past the "T" will the vacuum girgle through the liquid or suck a liquid slug into the pump? Can make for a very unhappy pump :cry: :oops: Other than that i like the idea alot,quick, easy and won't break the bank. At work we have automatic valves that dump moisture on the commpressor tanks.If you can add one of those to the project,draining would be one less thing to do every day. Not sure how much they are but Graingers or McMasters should have them in there cats.

Rick

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-04-2005, 01:16 PM
post edited

pegjam
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Just a thought on draining that, if any of you have a mechanical releaser, you'll get what I'm talking about. Anyway, my releaser has a rubber gasket that is backed by a piece of steel that acts as the seal. As long as it has vacuum, it seals, but when theres no vacuum, it opens up and allows it to drain. If you have your L at 90 degrees from the ground you could use the same principle, and it would drain on it's own. The only thing you would have to modifiy on your L would be to attach a mounting block on top of it for your gasket to attach to. This idea was used in the dairy industry to drain vacuum balance tanks as well, and works really well. Just a thought.

pegjam
"Hope it helps, can't hurt".

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-04-2005, 04:28 PM
post edited

brookledge
02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Kevin,
Is there a way to build with a ball in side to shut off the vacuum? Tried to follw what you described an was wondering if something went wrong with the releaser the moisture trap would only hold a little liquid before continuing to the vac. pump. I have seen moisture traps that have a ball in them like a wet/dry vac does. If there was a way to incorporate a ball into the one you described that would be great. may be someone can sketch a drawing and post as a picture.
Keith

pegjam
02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Kevin:

Maybe it was assemblied, and then the frame welded around it? :? :? :? Be a pain to fix it if something broke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pegjam
"Hope it helps, can't hurt"

02-04-2005, 06:58 PM
almost seems like you could have the ball in a cage, inside moisture trap,,, at the top of the cage is a spring loaded valve that the ball pushes open when liquid reaches a certin level,,when the valve opens air enters the system,,bypassing the sap filling moisture trap , vacume pump sucks air till you get there??? Parker

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-04-2005, 08:13 PM
post edited

Parker
02-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Seems like that would work fine if you could find the right weight/size ball (I like the squash ball idea) and had your Vac. regulator between your pump and you moisture trap,,Kevin, where do you get you vacume regulators and gauges?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-05-2005, 07:42 AM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-05-2005, 08:12 AM
popst edited

mapleman3
02-05-2005, 09:54 AM
making it today... just doing it with a valve... I figure it will work fine

That is a cool flapper though :wink:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
post edited

themapleking
04-25-2005, 03:55 PM
My trap worked out good. I was only getting about 2-4 table spoons of water a day. I also installed a second glass bowl water filter trap right at the pump for added protection. That one would get about 1 teaspoon in it. Now I just have to figure out why it got passed the main trap in the first place.

Parker
04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I did not even think of it during the season but I ran that sp-11 (the timex) all season witout a moisture trap,,,better put that on the list

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-26-2005, 06:44 AM
post edited

mapleman3
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
No moisture at all in mine, worked perfect I guess, I do have a tall electric releaser so that may have been the reason, when it's time to pump the level is still a good 10" from the top of the releaser where the vac is hooked up. but still felt like good insurance, I was very happy the way the system worked this year, especially having the regulator and it staying 19" ALL the time :D