PDA

View Full Version : oberdorfer pumps

tuckermtn
10-30-2009, 06:14 AM
was looking for a oberdorfer pump on ebay- looks like there are two styles of the 4000 pump- ones without a "relief" valve and ones with. What do other folks have on their filter presses- with or without relief valves?

thanks

Eric

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Eric,
Mine has a relief valve. As the filters gradually clog, you can open the relief valve (redirected back to the container with your unfiltered syrup) a bit so that the pressure does not become high enough to burst a paper.

vermaple
10-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I think all filter presses are plumbed with a bypass valve between the pump and the plates to provide the opportunity for recirculating syrup for mixing or using the pump as a transfer pump. I have never seen filter press with a relief valve on the pump.

Haynes Forest Products
10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Mine doesnt have a relief on it. Mine tends to relieve its self all over the walls ceiling and of course ME. The cost of a nice bronze Oberdorfer pump:lol: let alone SS is thru the roof so the extra feature woud add another 100 buck. I think some of the best filtering is done when the press is hitting about 60 PSI.

802maple
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
I think if I am reading this right is that the pumps you were looking at have a built in relief valve. Most if not all filter presses do not have this pump, but the press itself has a recirc valve built into the unit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Haynes Forest Products
10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes they do have a 3 way valve that BYPASSES the filter part of the unit. The term bypass valve or pressure relief valve is usualy a spring loaded unit that is set to open and then close at a pre determained pressure to protect down stream equipment. The valve is more for liquid transfer and a way to warm up the pump. Using the 3 way/bypass as a way of regulating the pressure is sot going to hurt the unit. I think cleaning the filter is the best way to regulate the high pressure. That pump will make alot more pressure than the filters will take without damage. The pump seal and the filter papers are the first thing to blow if you keep pumping hot liquid at high pressure. I have tightened the packing nut on the pump every year.

tuckermtn
10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
for a point of clarification- check out the following pump

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Oberdorfer-Gear-Pump-P-N-4000BR2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5880af4f2cQQite mZ380116094764QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5f Accessories#ht_500wt_826

I was speaking of a pump that has a built-in pressure relief valve- not necessarily a re-circ/bypass valve.

Do you think the above pump would work on a filter press?

thanks

-eric

brookledge
10-30-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't see why it won't work. What size input and output is it?
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
10-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Yes it will work just fine. Keeping it clean is the answer. You can always screw the relief down for max pressure. You dont want sugar build up in any pump parts. I hope the price holds.....Good luck

tuckermtn
10-31-2009, 07:47 AM
thanks for the feedback- just bought one...there are more available from the same seller- beats the $300+ I saw at Bascoms yesterday

Sugarmaker
10-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Would the 1/2 inch ported pump work for a mini cream machine?

Chris

michelle32
10-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Eric, Sounds like big changes in Andover this year. You must be picking up another sugar bush. All this new stuff going in. Bought a massport pump. If you now of anybody looking for a smaller pump. Im going to sell the bb2I got from you last year.
Keith & Michelle

tuckermtn
10-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Keith- yes, we are picking up three of parkers smaller bushes-and expanding the one that you and I looked at last March- Parker is focusing his efforts on the new 1000 tap set up in Salisbury. I was thinking about that pump the other day- figured you must be getting a bigger pump as I saw your tap count going up.

best of luck...

Gerryfamily5
11-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Would the 1/2 inch ported pump work for a mini cream machine?

Chris

Chris it will work fine.I built one w/ a 1/2" port pump.Turn the pump slow 170 rpm @ the shaft.I used a 3/4 hp 1725rpm capacitor start motor with a 10:1 gearbox has plenty of power for chilled syrup.

Sugarmaker
11-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Gerryfamily5,
I sent you a PM. on this pump.
Regards,
Chris