PDA

View Full Version : what size vac for 175-250 taps.

red maples
10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
ok so I am not going to do it for this season but maybe next year. want to try to budget it in. I know nothing about them.

what size, and models of Vacuums and releasers (and price if you have one) for approx. 175-250 taps. I would prefer electric. so I don't have to deal with gas and stuff.

It can be overwelming when you look at the sites and vacs listed for 1000 taps 2500 taps. I just want something smaller to fit my little operation to increase my volume of sap.

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Redmaples,
A small piston type dairy pump would be your cheapest pump. Something along the lines of a Surge BB2 or SP11 would be adequate for that size operation. There are other brands out there...Universal...Conde. Just keep your eyes open. You will also need either a releaser (a single, Bernard, LaPierre or CDL) or a vacuum style bulk tank (Zero) with a capacity of about 300 gallons. Make sure it is made for vacuum. Depending on the condition of the pump and how many others are interested you will pay $100 to $500 for it. A releaser new is in the neighborhood of $1000. A zero vacuum tank will be $1 per gallon or more (most likely more).

caseyssugarshack93
10-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Id look for a surge bb2 or sp11 or a vane pump that the price is right that would work, and for a releaser id use a surge bender reciever/releaser

Dennis H.
10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
This will be my 1st year with vacroooom, look for used dairy stuff it seems to be the cheapest way to go.

I picked up a used sp22 from a great friend here on the trader, it's a little large for me right now but it is something that can grow with.
The releaser options you got are few if you don't want to spend a small fortune. I picked up two small Bender Milk receivers off of ebay, cheap. There is a hobby sap releaser out there but it is still in the range of $500, I picked up both of mine and all check valves for right around $100.

If you can find a used milk tank that will be the best way to go. I found a 200 gal one local here for $200 which it sounds like the going rate.

I know it sounds like a lot to spend all at once but a good thing to remember is that it you ever have to sell off any of this it will not take long to find someone that wants it.

gdtowne
11-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I too am looking to add vacuum to my bush, which is now about 300 taps, but intend to expand to 500 when we install the vacuum. I have started looking for used dairy equipment, and have found several surge sp11s. I have a couple of questions. Will this be enough vacuum for that many taps, or should I look for something larger, someone had mentioned an sp22. Additionally, if there is no motor currently on the pump, what size motor, or engine (gas) should I need.

Also, I am concerned with the level of vacuum one of these pumps will produce. I hear talk of an ideal range of 20-25" hg; is this even possible with a used dairy milker, or do I need to step up to something professional.

Basically, I intend to invest some money, and wish to see that I receive the maximum benefit from that investment.
Thank you,

Gerry

caseyssugarshack93
11-08-2009, 08:44 AM
a sp11 will handle 500 taps, i wouldnt push it any more past 500 though if you plan on having more then 500 looks for a sp22 or a bb4 or a big vane pump, for a gas engine on a sp11 id run a 3.5 or a 5hp With the piston pumps you can pretty much run them at whatever you want id say 22" is a safe spot but you can run more, And if you have a dairy vane pump id say 20" is a good spot if you plan to go pasted 20 you would need to add more oil to the pump,

Haynes Forest Products
11-08-2009, 09:15 AM
GDTowne Start with the power. Why gas if you have elec near the releaser? Why deal with dairy pumps that need Oil, Reclaimer, Can over heat at high vacuum and are getting harder to find and repair?

I going to make the switch from the gas beast I have and go to a smaller elec vane pump.

Russell Lampron
11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Red Maples,

Check out the bb2 that Michelle32 has in the classified section. It has a new motor, pulleys and belt too.

Dennis H.
11-08-2009, 03:09 PM
My SP22 came with a 1.5hp electric motor.

Testing the system I have it set right now at 15" of vac. For what I have read and have been told HEAT is the number one killer of a vac pump. The higher the vac, or is it the deeper the vac that you run the harder the pump has to work and the hotter it will run.
This will mean that like my sp22 it will use more oil, so you will have to keep an eye on the oil level.

I plan on putting a fan in the shed I made for the vac pump to help pull in some cool air while it is running.

red maples
11-08-2009, 05:27 PM
yes he did give me first offer but I can't spend the money that right now I wish I could but I just dropped another $400 on stuff so the vacuum will have to wait until next year. Man I hope thats all I have to spend this year. it adds up pretty quick. besides I am gonna ckeck out the local dairy farms and see what they have kicking around and buy a fixer upper.

KenWP
11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I have seen a vane pump ruined in one afternoon. The moron running it had the inlet hose for the tank plugged with solids and just kept pumping. When I fianlly stopped him the smoke was just rolling off the pump and he had burnt up a brand new set of vanes. I for some reason can pump for a couple of years on one set of vanes but I have to change them all the time when somebody else runs the pump.

Haynes Forest Products
11-08-2009, 11:45 PM
The nice thing about a dry vane vac pump is it can run pluged up:)