PDA

View Full Version : trail cameras

red maples
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
My wife gave me a $150 gift certificate for my birthday to use towards a trail camera. anyone use these. just looking for fedback on what types are good there are so many varieties.

Gary R
10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I have 3. An old film type that I don't use and 2 digitals that have been out for more than 3 months. Both are cheapies. A wildview that I would not recommend to anyone. The batteries last less than 2 weeks. The other is a $100 Moultrie. I'm only on my second set of batteries and it has over 450 images on it. Yes they have slow trigger speed. They should be set up on a food plot, mineral lick or scrape. Go to www.qdma.com. Check out the forum section. Good Luck!

ennismaple
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I've got 2 digitals. The Bushnell sucks batteries and I'm not impressed with the pictures. The Moultrie i40 I love - good pictures and I'm on the same set of batteries (still 50% left) that went in it in February, likely 2000+ pictures.

3rdgen.maple
10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree with Gary a wildview is an entry level cheap one. I bought 2 when I first got into it(Digital) and they sometimes turned on and sometimes didn't battery life was poor. Whatever you get make sure you get the highest megapixle one you can afford. I think they all have memory card in them but if you have a personal digital camera as well look for one that carries the same type of memory card. It is nice to walk up to the camera pull the card stick it in your personal camera and view the pictures and cheaper than buying the handheld viewfinders they sell with some of the trail cameras. If it has a slower flash time and you set it up on a trail aim it up or down the trail not across it cause you will get alot of pictures of nothing.

red maples
10-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I looked at the wildview and said hmmm I could get 2 of these but decided to go with the stealth cam nomad IR. $169.00 5 mega pixels, up to 90 sec video not that I would ever use it. kinda slow trigger but like gary said good for over food. and it came with 2 - 1GB cards I like that then you can switch them out. maybe someday if I have a spare $300 that on me I get a cuddeback.

I went up to kittery trading post in maine and almost bought a used thompson .50 cal muzzle loader for $195.00 was in really good shape came REALLY CLOSE. I think the wife would have killed me if I bought that home and went $45 over what I was suppose to spend. she won't find out about the extra $20 I spent on the camera;) .

sponge
10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I have 2 stealth cams. one is 6 years old and it takes great pics, the other one is an i550 with 5 megapixals. I have it over top of a corn pile and average 100 pics a day and get about a thousand pics on a set of 6 c batteries. the deer around here are getting pretty well trained to my atv.today i had a doe walk up to about twenty yards as i dumped the corn and changed the sd card. now if i could get the big boys to do that i'd be in business. the cameras are alot of fun.

KenWP
10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I need one to keep watch of my trees also. They keep moving around to much on me. That and I need one for my tool shed. Those tools have to be moving around on their own. I just know it.

red maples
10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Ken I think we all have that problem with our tools. because I know I put them back where they belong everytime:D

stoweski
10-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Moultrie Game Spy D-40 is what I have. It get's my vote.

I love it. Even though I don't hunt I like to see the wildlife in my woods. I've caught several animals without the use of bait. The camera can be set for multiple shots at one time to catch moving objects.
I will agree, the timing is a bit slow but it is a digital camera and takes some time to warm up the flash.
The laser aim is great and the IR sensor seems to work well from over 50' away.

Got mine at scheels sports online. They seemed to be the cheapest. Think I caught it on sale at the time for around $80.

Keith

The Birdman
10-28-2009, 07:57 PM
ken what kind of stuff are you putting in those syrup jugs? trees moving.:o

jdj
10-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Cuddeback! I have had two or three other brands and have yet to have one I could compare to my two Cuddebacks. The battery life is awesome, picture quality is awesome and the trigger speed is second to none! Just my opinion though!!!

red maples
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Maybe my next one will be a cuddeback but too pricey for me now!!! I have heard good things about them. Most if not all of my money this year has been going into this "gosh darn" maple flue A1S1(or the latin Acer1 Saccharum1). I can't seem to shake it.

Revi
10-30-2009, 07:54 AM
I got a Wal-mart trail cam and the trigger speed is a little slow. I am trying to catch 2 legged game, so that may work.

We are experiencing lots of serious vandalism at our sugarhouse, and we've got the trail cam up to catch them.

red maples
10-30-2009, 08:49 AM
oh wow that sucks. hope you get 'em before they do any more.

3rdgen.maple
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Seen an advertisement on the outdoor channel last night where moultrie has a new camera with the ability for the owner to sit at home and look at trail pictures without even going in the woods. I wonder how much that baby cost.

red maples
10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
yes I did see that I think its it like 320.00 or something like that. you can just log onto the web site and see your pics. wonder if that would work everywhere. I don't get cell phone service at my house. I have to drive down the road all the neighbors call it the phonebooth turnaround.

3rdgen.maple
10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I think that baby ends the signal(pictures) to a satelite and then back down to earth. You just log onto the website link to the satelit to get your pictures. Atleast that is how I understood it.

red maples
10-31-2009, 09:02 AM
got my first 2 does on the cam last night nice clear black and white IR night photo. at 22:05:29 it was 44F. Got it set up on the trail no food.