PDA

View Full Version : 2x8

larrboy
10-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Just bought a new 2x8 evaporator. I want to get as much out of it as I can as far a gallons per hour. I am thinking about putting 1/2 bricks on the sides of the firebox along with arch board so I can put more wood in it. Is this a good idea or bad? Any other sugestions without spending alot more $$$$??

3rdgen.maple
10-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Without a doubt you want to insulate it and brick it. Splits or full bricks. I used splits in my 2x6 and am happy with the results. Only other suggestion is to keep the wood split nice and small I split mine to about the size of my arm. The wood will burn faster and hotter that way.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Use the full size bricks with arch board, it will cut down on capacity, but you will be glad you did in the long run as they full size won't crack nearly as easy in the firebox area and stay in place better. My 2x8 stock I got 35 gph including startup and shutdown and now with an inferno and other modifications, I can get 60 to 65 gph which includes startup and shutdown.

PerryW
10-28-2009, 06:31 AM
I believe it was Bruce Bascom that told me that the 1/2 bricks worked good for the 2x6 I bought 21 years ago for the very reason you mentioned (to get more wood in and have more surface area of the pans exposed to the heat).

red maples
10-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Without a doubt you want to insulate it and brick it. Splits or full bricks. I used splits in my 2x6 and am happy with the results. Only other suggestion is to keep the wood split nice and small I split mine to about the size of my arm. The wood will burn faster and hotter that way.

SO I guess it comes down to arm size if you can curl a small car you may want to go to a 1/2 arm size.:lol:

Amber Gold
10-28-2009, 08:34 AM
I'd use full bricks up till the last course. The last course use 1/2 bricks with top cut at an angle so that the brick does not stick out beyond the arch rail.

3rdgen.maple
10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Red I said the size of MY arm.:D