PDA

View Full Version : state license

boondocker
10-27-2009, 07:45 PM
just wondering how many of you guys from maine have a state license to sell syrup? i have all the paper work and my sap house is by the book, but before i go through all the red tap as far as getting a license i was wondering if it is worth it. just dont know if im stirring up the honet nest as far as a tax number and and all the garbage that goes along with it. i figure i have gone this far i might as well but just looking for some input to see what you guys have done........:rolleyes: thanks josh

gmcooper
10-28-2009, 11:07 PM
We have a state license to sell syrup for 20 years. Most everyone ( I assume all) maple producers I know all have a license. With one you can sell with out one you can not legally sell maple syrup in Maine. We have an employer ID number but if you are sole proprietor you can just use SS number. We file schedual F tax form. Not a big deal. Your not likely to be making a profit so your income tax will not be going up.
Mark

boondocker
10-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks gmcooper, i kinda figured everybody did, i just wanted to maybe save myself the hassle and paperwork but i guess if im gonna sell i should be leagal. this will probly be the first leagal thing i have ever done:D

MainelyMaple
10-29-2009, 02:06 PM
we got our license last year. they said they were going to send an inspector up and our sugarhouse and operation needed to meet all these guidelines etc. well a few weeks later we got the license in the mail and never heard from them again go figure

boondocker
10-29-2009, 04:57 PM
yea when i contacted them back this early summer asking about getting the ball rolling, she emailed me a list of things that needed to be to spec before they would give me a license. so when i went to start building i went by the book, concrete slab, floor drain, stainless sink with drain, i had a 12ft peice of brand new corrian counter top that was damaged from when i built my house so that went in too and the list goes on....... she said the same thing to me about sending out sombody to inspect before they would give me a license and that it could take up to 8 weeks before they would get around to it so i guess i should get on the horn and get things rolling. thanks guys for the input. josh:)

marc
10-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Did you call a state office in Augusta or your county? If state can you post the number? thanks

boondocker
10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Did you call a state office in Augusta or your county? If state can you post the number? thanks

yea let me look back through my emails, and i will post the number to the state and the ladys name to contact, she was very helpfull.

boondocker
11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
marc contact kathy hopkins at khopkins@umext.maine.edu she can set you up with everthing you need to become licensed and will send you or email you a list of things that you will need to make your sap house so called legal:confused:

marc
11-02-2009, 05:38 PM
boondocker, thanks for the effort in posting me the contact info. I really appreciate it.

WF MASON
11-05-2009, 05:04 AM
I would have to say the number of licenced sugarmakers to unlicenced would be 50/50, I know just as many who make and sell syrup without out one as people who have a licence. I only know of one sugarmaker who is unlicenced who sells to the public that I'd have a health issue with. For some reason , during his filtering 'research' over the years , he explained to me that he found that 'red flannel pajamias' filter the syrup the best. Each winter he buys several new pair for the upcomming sugaring season.No I'm not kidding. Thank god he only makes fifteen or so gallons. I have been given a small bottle in the past, but never had the 'time' to sample it. I don't believe its much of a hassel to get a licence , so why not. Ask the inspector about filtering through 'red flannel pajamias' and see if you get a reaction.

KenWP
11-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Yes one should use white flannel pajammies instead. We don't seem to have those red ones up here. I wonder some time what the paper work even looks like up here for something like a licence to sell syrup. I have done all the paper work to be legal to sell pigs up here and that involves haveing a Vet inspect the place every two years but he has to visit every year to do the paper work and usually insists on a tour anyways.

3rdgen.maple
11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
One should not be using any flannel pajama's or any clothing for that matter. For a few bucks you can get an orlon or wool filter from a maple supplier and you will get a better end product and can keep washing them out with hot water and use over and over. If you are not selling syrup or giving it away I don't care what you use but lets remember we represent the maple industry and word of mouth travels faster than syrup through a filter. Lets say you want to upsize your operation and everybody in the neighborhood knows you use red flannels to filter with, where are you going from there?
Sorry back to licensing.

boondocker
11-06-2009, 02:43 PM
I would have to say the number of licenced sugarmakers to unlicenced would be 50/50, I know just as many who make and sell syrup without out one as people who have a licence. I only know of one sugarmaker who is unlicenced who sells to the public that I'd have a health issue with. For some reason , during his filtering 'research' over the years , he explained to me that he found that 'red flannel pajamias' filter the syrup the best. Each winter he buys several new pair for the upcomming sugaring season.No I'm not kidding. Thank god he only makes fifteen or so gallons. I have been given a small bottle in the past, but never had the 'time' to sample it. I don't believe its much of a hassel to get a licence , so why not. Ask the inspector about filtering through 'red flannel pajamias' and see if you get a reaction.

red flannel pj's? man thats good stuff right there. no i would never use an artical of clothing as a filter, but i guess if ya dont have the money to buy filters then i guess it would work, other than red fuzzy lint floating in your syrup:D i have been reading some other threads anybody doing any fall tapping here in maine? i thought about it, but is it worth it at all to do?

3rdgen.maple
11-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Boondocker it is not worth it if you don't have the tree's. It is not wise to tap the same trees in the fall and in the spring. I am doing it mainly because I have more trees than I can currently handle so the maples are only gonna see a tap once a year. If you got the tree's what the heck sure makes the time go by faster.

We are stealing this thread it was about licensing. My apologies. We should redirect new questions to a new post.

boondocker
11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Boondocker it is not worth it if you don't have the tree's. It is not wise to tap the same trees in the fall and in the spring. I am doing it mainly because I have more trees than I can currently handle so the maples are only gonna see a tap once a year. If you got the tree's what the heck sure makes the time go by faster.

We are stealing this thread it was about licensing. My apologies. We should redirect new questions to a new post.

ahhh dont worry about that none, my question has been answred about the state license. i have waaaaaay more maples than i will be able to tap. the main sugar bush i will be tapping this year is about 250 acres that was cut off about two years ago on the side of a big ridge. they took everything but sugar and white maple. i cant even start to tell you guys how many trees are on this plot. my buddy and i are both tapping this sugar bush with gravity pipe line and are not even close to touching even a 1/4 of the trees. if i could afford to tap every tree and then afford to buy a evaporator that would handle it i would have to quit my job and be bioling in july!!!!!:D :D

Maple Ridge
11-09-2009, 06:49 AM
This is good information about the license. I am going to contact her also. As for red flannels, I am staying away from them.

abbott
11-24-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't know about red flannel pajamas, but an old threadbare towel works nice for a preliminary sap filter when you're collecting buckets.

I also got a state license for the first time last year, and like mainelymaple they never showed up to inspect, just sent it in the mail. I've heard that they may come around once avery 5 years or so, you never know.

buxtonboiler
11-24-2009, 10:44 PM
As far as filtering. I go to the fabric store and buy new white flannel to filter with. works great and cheap too.

KenWP
11-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Try to buy flannel in a french fabric store. I never did find it. Ended up buying the big thick cone filters and the pre filters which dont' really take out much more then the big stuff from the syrup.