PDA

View Full Version : should i use ceramic blanket or arch board

mike first timer
10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
just got a new evaporator dallaire 18 by 48 and i was wondering if i should put in ceramic blanket or arch board in it i will be useing 2" firebrick just wondering if it was worth it to do it? thanks

Bradenfish
10-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I would definitely put one or the other in. I used arch board. It was easy to use. Cuts with a utility knife.

mike first timer
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
were do you get the arch board and how much does it cost

Bradenfish
10-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I got mine from a Maple Pro dealer that i get all my supplies through. They're 1''-12''-36'' and cost about $11 per sheet.

Fred Henderson
10-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Blanket bends around corners a little easier. Beleive me either one is worth the bucks to put it in.You want heat under the pan not out the sides.

3rdgen.maple
10-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Arch board will get my vote everytime. Bascom's carries it for $8.75 for a 1'x3' sheet 1 inch thick.http://www.bascommaple.com/store/index.php?cat=2 item is ABIN. Definately insulate it which ever you choose.

mike first timer
10-26-2009, 05:39 PM
my evap is not actually here yet but i would like to order the arch board how much would i need for 18 by 48 evap? sorry for all the questions but this will be my first evaporator.thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Probably need to know the exact dimensions of all parts of the evaporator--sides, firebox, under flue pan, etc. Lot of variance and Bascoms usually ships same day, so you can have it within a couple of days.

1' x 3' in each piece or 3 square feet.

3rdgen.maple
10-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Mike what brand model is it? One sheet should get you two cut peices for the bottom. Minus the firebox I would say 2 for the bottom and would guess at 3 for each side. And A half one for the back . Now I say guess so don't yell at me if you buy 8 sheets and only needed 7 or you are short and needed 9:D

mike first timer
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
it is a dallaire 18 by 48 flat bottom pan do i put over all of the sides or just the firebox and do you think 2inch firebrick is a overkill? i just want to get it right the first time

3rdgen.maple
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
You want to insulate the sides of the firebox, the bottom inside of the arch, the sidewalls of the arch and the back of the arch. Basically the whole darn thing. I was recommended and used splitbrick in my 2x6. The bricks just keeps the flames and wood from damaging the archboard and the sides of the arch. The brick wether it be split or full will get cherry red so it is the insulation that holds the heat in. There seemed to be no difference in temps of the outside of my old arch that had full brick in it. Full brick is not overkill at all but I think if you can get split cheaper i would use that.

mike first timer
10-26-2009, 09:10 PM
ok thank you for all of the info

KenWP
10-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I found some insulation locally that is rated at 2150 degrees F. Would that work for insulation. It is thicker but could be squashed down a bit with fire brick or what ever. The same company also lists fibreboad insulation 1 inch thick thats made for boilers and such . I sent a email to them to see if thats available locally also. You would think in a place where maple was born almost you could find parts and such.