PDA

View Full Version : Gast vac pumps

Brent
10-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I see Haines and likely some others are using GAST vacuum pumps. I need to add a bit more umpf to my system this year. What flavor are you guys using. Oiled or dry ? How have you found the life of the vanes. Will they stand up to 10 to 15 hours a day ??

brookledge
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I have had a oil drip gast pump for over 20 years and it has been good. I bought it used from Agway. I bought 2 brand new gast oiless pumps that I have never used. I bought them to have as a back up but have never needed them. I'll probably sell them eventually.
Keith

maple maniac65
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM
I have a Gast vacuum pump that I run with a 11hp honda motor. It basically runs 24/7 and uses about 4 gallons of gas a day and about 1/2 pint of oil. No reclaimer but I have a exhaust reclaimer so to speak so oil does not blow on the ground. I paid $100 for it brand new out of a box and have no problems with it running at 23 inches.

Haynes Forest Products
10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Brent I Highly recommend the oiless vane Gast pumps the bigger the better. With that said I have a small one that will handle 500 taps on a TIGHT system with a releaser just fine. I have sucked sap into it and tripped the breaker and drained the line and off it went to run another 20 days. They are ment to run 24/7
I run one of the bigger ones That I got cheap and put a motor on it and it is the best unit. They sell them at Grangers for about $900.00 I got mine all include for 350. I will replace my Gas Masport with a Gast as soon as I can get one cheap.