PDA

View Full Version : Pan rotation?

moeh1
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I am still learning:confused: I understand the concept, how often do you rotate to reduce niter? How do you actually rotate without losing product - many of the small 2 pan setups I've looked at online don't seem to have inline valves.
Thanks.

brookledge
10-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Most evaporators are designed to reverse flow by switching plugs and or valves. Plugs are installed into the part that connects the two pans and then allowing the syrup pan to be removed. If the syrup pan is a parralel flow then you should not have to remove the pan to reverse flow.
If you have cross flow pans then most of those need to be taken off the arch to turn them to reverse flow.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
10-22-2009, 08:03 PM
And the best method is to just clean the dang things if your going to plug off and rotate them. If you have a set up like mine that can be reversed and rotated and all that crap I just plug off the finish pans drain and fill with cleaner and cover with custom covers and start the cooker and boil for 10 min let sit over night and drain cleaner, flush pans with clear water refill with drained syrup and off you go 2 clean pans less than 1/2 hr total to clean my pans every night.

3rdgen.maple
10-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I second Haynes on this one. I tried the pan rotating to reverse flow crap. Well all it does is delay the inevitible, removing your pans and cleaning them. I have yet to see it make such a big difference that makes the time involved to do it worth while. Like Haynes said once you have gone that far you mine as well clean the darn thing. I think if all you have to do is close a valve and open another than give it a shot but you still gotta clean the pan sooner or later and I like sooner cause later usually means burnt syrup and a scorched pan.

KenWP
10-23-2009, 06:05 AM
And if I remember right from last season cleaning the pan improves the syrup a bit also. I found it also a lot easyier to clean often the less as the crap is not baked on so hard. But what do I know I come from a plasce where to clean something is nettoyer .

moeh1
10-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks for some feedback. I am still in early planning stages and considering building pan(s). It wouldn't be that hard to include but it doesn't sound like it is not the "gotta have" list.