PDA

View Full Version : thinking about taking the next step, and selling to the public need advice

ctjim
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
not sure this is the right area for this,but i'm looking into selling my syrup at farmers market and out of my home/shack. does anyone know the regulations in ct? i have sent out emails to ctmaple producers and my county ag extension but they haven't got back to me yet. my wife works in food service and is signing me up for a serv safe class so i will be certified in that, probably something you don't need but she says it may be necessary w/ all the new laws they may be coming out with. any help would be great, thanks jim

PerryW
10-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Don't know about the rules in CT but to sell syrup:

1) Make sure you have a temperature vs/ density chart and know how to use it to attain the correct density syrup.

2) Make Sure you hot pack the jugs (>180 deg F when the cap goes on).

3) Make sure you have an up to date grade kit and the syrup is labeled with the grade and your Sugarhouse Name & Address.

4) It a good idea to have at least two people taste each batch to detect off flavors to the syrup. Any off-flavor syrup can not be sold as Grade A.