PDA

View Full Version : What size evaporator?

On the ledge
10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Last year tried making syrup for the first time, just put in 8 taps right around the house and used a turkey fryer. I just walked my property marking trees to tap. Now I'm panicking looks like I should have about 30-40 taps. What size evaporator would I need ?

tuckermtn
10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
2x4 with either raised or drop flu pan would be where I would start...or some of the hobby evaps.

KenWP
10-19-2009, 04:41 PM
If they are decent trees at least a 2x4 pan. I did a lot more trees with a small pan and it became a 24-7 job by the time I was done. I was going to start with a turkey fryer untill I did the math and went to a pan with twice the surface area and it did the job slow but sure.

petersp22
10-19-2009, 04:59 PM
In no time someone will be along explaining you need a Hurricane Force 5, reverse osmosis, vacuum, telling you to contract with your neighbors, tapping street trees, etc.

For me this is a hobby. I like doing my hobby. Boiling is part of the experience. I handle 75 taps with a 20" by 36" flat pan evaporator. I occasionally have some long days. So do the guys with a Hurricane Force 5, reverse osmosis, and vacuum.

I read a story once about a guy flying around the nation in a Cessna 150 for fun. People asked him why he wasn't in a faster plane. He answered "Why? I like flying."

Have fun.

3rdgen.maple
10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
There are quite a few models for you to consider. Just looking through the D&G catolog and 2 ring a bell. They have a 18"x48" flat pan evaporator that is rated for 25 to 50 taps. Neat little evaporator but not much room to grow if needed. Second one they have is the sportsman which is a 18"x63" with a 45" flue pan and 18" syrup pan rated for up to 150 taps. Neat thing about a flue pan and syrup pan verses a flat is that you can get a better grade of syrup and not have to batch boil. Lapierre has a few that will work also. Anywhere from a barrel evap. to a 24x60 thrifty model. I think you should ask yourself how many taps could you end up with in the future and decide from there. Check out some websites like Bascom's, Leader, Maplepro etc. Alot of nice stuff out there to fit your needs. And don't forget Bill Mason either I have heard he makes good stuff as well.

On the ledge
10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I probably won't get any larger. the small evaporaor that mason makes is the way i was leaning, for a couple of reason 1 he's local and from all the post's I've read on here he seems to make a quality product.

3rdgen.maple
10-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Ahhhhh the famous last words of a maple producer "probably won't" Never heard any bad on hear about Mason either. Sounds like a good choice and probably save some money and get just as good or better product than the big commercial guys. I was on Bascom's website and almost fell over when I seen the prices of the smaller evaporators. I paid less for my 2x6 in all stainless then some of those rigs. Good luck and most of all have fun with it.

Dill
10-19-2009, 08:04 PM
There is always room to grow. I wouldn't buy a new hobby sized (half pint) maybe if you could get a wicked deal on a used one. Because it seems as though people use them for a year or 2 and move on. The 2x4 with a real flu pan is great way to go in my opinion. Mine will do 100 comfortably and maybe 125 if you want to boil every night. Plus people are always looking for that size if you want to go bigger. Which most everyone seems to do.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
www.bascommaple.com

Bascoms has plenty of cross flow used stainless syrup pans for cheap or pick up a small pan on ebay. There are plenty of members with nice homemade setups with photo links in their signatures that you can look at and get good ideas from and if you buy something stainless cheap, you can almost always get your money back out of it or make a little bit of money if you plan to upgrade.

WF Mason is a member on here and he makes nice small pans and hobby setups along with larger set ups too. Send him a PM, he might even has some nice used pans, but either way, he will take good care of you.

tuckermtn
10-20-2009, 05:31 AM
I just emailed WF Mason about possibly making a hood/pre-heater- he does nice work alright- he is booked till after next sugaring season!

yet he might have something already made or used-

like the crossflow idea also...

On the ledge
10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I am now thinking of building a cinder block evaporator would it be smarter to buy a pan first? I would like to get a divided pan . I will have about 30 taps. Would 2x4 pan work?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Buy the pan and then build the arch to fit the pan. Cinderblock arches work very good, I know as I started out that way and used them for years when I was younger.

On the ledge
10-24-2009, 09:54 PM
younger you say:lol: I think I'm past that term but I'm still looking for the cheapest way I rencently moved from Cape Cod to N.H. to property with just a few maples. Had 10 taps last year and made just about a gallon of syrup. Had to mark the trees when the leaves were still on the trees so I would I know what were maples. I talked to my nieghbor who has gravity lines to pick his brain, the first thing he said was don't do it. I asked him why and he said I started with 10 taps and look at me now. Sorry about the rambling but I fear I am becoming a MAPLEHOLIC. I will have about 30 taps this year and luckily that's all I can tap on my property unless I start running lines. Oh yea all you guys with big taps count are enablers for us small guys . I for one am jealous.

stoweski
10-25-2009, 08:35 AM
www.searchtempest.com

I found a 1/2 pint for 1/2 price on craigslist back in April. Drove for 2 hours to pick it up. Very nice condition. I figure it's a starting point and I can always move up when I'm ready.

Only way I found it was by using searchtempest. It searches craigslists ads at a set distance from your zipcode. Very handy. Even picked up my sap storage tank by using it.

Keith

3rdgen.maple
10-26-2009, 08:08 PM
On the ledge There is a pan that went up for sale in the classified section that might fit you. 20x40 with divider and drawoff for 150 bucks.