PDA

View Full Version : Boosters For Wet Dry

Spike
10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Can anyone tell me if your running a wet dry system, do you have to use vac boosters? If so what do they look like, are there differant types.

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
With a wet-dry line system you do not need to use vacuum boosters (misnomer). You need to connect your dry line into the wet line at intervals. Often a good place to do this is where the lateral mains enter the wet line. A connection from the dry line can be made to the lateral at this point. It should arc from the top of the dry line to the top of the lateral several feet before the lateral enters the main line. If the main wet and dry lines are to be connected, it should be directly between the two and the distance should be one foot or more to limit the amount of sap that might enter the dry line and insure that any sap coming down the dry line falls into the wet line. Confused yet:) ?

MapleChaser
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Can anyone tell me if your running a wet dry system, do you have to use vac boosters? If so what do they look like, are there differant types.

Go to Jason Grossman here on the trader go to his photo bucket. In there he has some good photo's of how to tie your dry line into the wet laterals. Hope this helps. MC

Spike
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Yes confused a little. I get the way the lines are to run. Just not the conections. Why is the booster a misnomer?

Spike
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks MC that helps a bit.

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-19-2009, 05:29 PM
A booster does not "boost" the vacuum. It may serve as a vacuum reservoir which may help balance vacuum fluctuations in the system.

vtmaplemaker
10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
There are several diff. kind of manifolds (boosters), they can be as simple as 3 t's all connected one in the dry, one in the wet, and one between the 2 for the lat main. Or some use pvc made boosters, like myself, pic included.. Some tie the lat main into the wet line, and do a pipe loop from the dry up and over to the lat main... how ever they are built, keep in mind a few things.. Never have a 5/16 lat line go direct into the wet line, (the wet line is there to move sap, not vacuum). The place to install manifolds, is where your lat. mains come in, and not needed inbetween them. and make sure you have enough height to do the sap/air seperation, or enough diameter...

Hope this helps..

The pic is of the pvc manifolds I use, I build them so they offset from the wet and dry lines in case the lines are not directly over each other... I install a valve to shut off the lat main line, and a vac guage, I find this very usefull to find vac leaks. If you close the valve and that lat main loses vac like a rock, time to look for a leak, if it goes down very slow, its tight, move on....

Spike
10-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Nice photo. That really helps. Bradford ha, your just over the hill from me.

nifolds (boosters), they can be as simple as 3 t's all connected one in the dry, one in the wet, and one between the 2 for the lat main. Or some use pvc made boosters, like myself, pic included.. Some tie the lat main into the wet line, and do a pipe loop from the dry up and over to the lat main... how ever they are built, keep in mind a few things.. Never have a 5/16 lat line go direct into the wet line, (the wet line is there to move sap, not vacuum). The place to install manifolds, is where your lat. mains come in, and not needed inbetween them. and make sure you have enough height to do the sap/air seperation, or enough diameter...

Hope this helps..

The pic is of the pvc manifolds I use, I build them so they offset from the wet and dry lines in case the lines are not directly over each other... I install a valve to shut off the lat main line, and a vac guage, I find this very usefull to find vac leaks. If you close the valve and that lat main loses vac like a rock, time to look for a leak, if it goes down very slow, its tight, move on....[/QUOTE]

Spike
10-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Thanks Vt maple. The photo really makes sence now. Thats the way I'll do it. Bradford ha, Your just over the hill from me. Any chance I might have a look see at your system?

1poorsap
02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
hey i have a 2 in dry line and 1 1/2 wet line with 3/4 coming into my manifolds. in the mornings tho they arent always getting vacuum. do u think the ice is building up in manifolds and blocking the vacuum?

Homestead Maple
02-21-2010, 06:22 PM
The pic is of the pvc manifolds I use, I build them so they offset from the wet and dry lines in case the lines are not directly over each other... I install a valve to shut off the lat main line, and a vac guage, I find this very usefull to find vac leaks. If you close the valve and that lat main loses vac like a rock, time to look for a leak, if it goes down very slow, its tight, move on....[/QUOTE]

Are your manifolds 2 inch or 1 1/2 inch. I use a different style that tees into the dry and wet and use a valve between the dry and wet lines. Do you use a valve between the wet and dry to help you when you wash your lines. I use the same location for a gauge. Like you say it's a lot easier to cruise your main lines and close the valve on the lateral main and watch the gauge to see if there's any problems.