PDA

View Full Version : 12x16 SugarHouse Day 1 and 2

MapleME
10-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Much thanks for everyones help as I researched the specifics for the new 12x16. This weekend we made good progress. Saturday spent the day building, squaring and leveling the frame. I also added additional concrete supports under where the evap will go. We also got the decking on.
Day 2 we raised 3 walls...would have raised the 4th but ran out of 2x4's. Using all rough cut hemlock which seemed like a good deal and strong. Had not seen a true 2x4 in a long time.

This week hope to get the 4th wall up and rafters/cupola done so I can start the barn board sides.

Anyway if your interested the pics are in my blog (see signature)...they kinda view backwards but you get the idea. I couldnt figure out how to post them directly as a thumbnail like some of you do.
Josh Maplme

PARKER MAPLE
10-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Looking Good Josh, Looks As If You Know What You Are Doing.i See You Are From Maine Is That Anywhere Near Eagle Lake/ Fort Kent Area? And What Is The Roof Pitch Going To Be? Awesome Job Looks Good
Maple Rookie

MapleME
10-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks Rookie. Im in southern Maine so FT Kent is pretty far from me. I think we are going with a 12/12 roof so I can have plenty of room for a loft to store my buckets, taps etc etc. I cant wait to have some more room! Will keep you updated. BTW, I am planning on a nice wood shed roof like yours off the back to keep my wood dry(er).

Josh

Farmboy
10-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I am planing to start preping a pad for mine this week. It is going to be 16' by 16' I gotto get going on mine.

MapleME
10-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Had a good week. Friday after work got the 4th wall up. Saturday was too rainy here to do anything outside, but we had some serious progress today. Got the two 16' walls sided with the barnboard, and got the ridge pole and rafters up. Most of the roof is also sheathed except for the area where I am doing the cupola. This week after work I will get window frames cut out fully, and maybe get the windows in. Next is barn board on the short 12' sides and building the cupola. Then roofing, then trim, then move the evap then......list never ends!

Things have gone pretty smooth other than a trip to the emergency department tonight. Not sure if this is a rookie mistake or just a mistake that could happen to anyone...BUT, I had leaned my stack of roof sheathing upright- all 16 pieces of them. Well, they were about to fall over in one big stack and as I jumped away to avoid them hitting me in the hips or thighs, they fell and one corner landed on my toes. I had very good Filson leather boots on, but alas..I worked all day but after taking my boots off tonight, I had a black toe. Needless to say, Im hurting a little tonight :)

I will update some pics on my blog if people are interested in following the progress.

3rdgen.maple
10-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Good job on the progress. Sorry to hear about your trip the the er. I broke my left big toe early summer because I thought I would set up some scaffolding by myself. Then 6 weeks later I was chasing the kids around the living room and smashed and broke one on my right foot. She who must be obeyed thinks I losing my mind. Post them pics would love to see the progress.

MapleME
10-25-2009, 09:45 PM
This album should work even if people dont use facebook

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=334824&id=727595709&l=da7724d9e4

MapleME
10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Got the remaining barnboard siding on, and trimmed out the facia with pine board getting ready for drip edge, felt and shingles tomorrow. Still have doors, windows and stack to install. Overall great progress.

Littlesap
11-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Great job Josh, did you post pics of the progress? I couldn't see them on your link but may be looking in the wrong place. We are on a similar schedule, I am building a 10x12, walls went up two weekends ago, roof trusses last weekend and I got sheething and felt down yesterday. If it ever stops raining down here I will get out and do the barn board siding. Hopefully the metal roof arrives before next weekend.

Hey, what are you doing for a roof jack? I bought some chimney pipe to go through the roof so I can get close to my rafters and coupola on the outside but am trying to think of something creative for the roof jack.

Good luck

MapleME
11-01-2009, 03:16 PM
yeah sap, look at the link I posted a few days ago to my facebook album. Its so much easier than the blog.

I just did metalbestos chimney up through the roof. Bough the URSA universal roof support assembly which you nail to the roof, then put the foor jack over than...and then storm collar.

MapleME
11-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Made good progress. The facebook album is updated. Got 2 of the windows installed and trimmed out which look really nice. Also got all of the roof papered and shingled minus the cupola area. We were too tired to start the cupola, so that will be for next weekend.

3rdgen.maple
11-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Nice job but I think it is illegal to use a pnuematic nailer on a sugarhouse:D Cheating man your cheating.

MapleME
11-02-2009, 06:39 PM
ha! i knew I would catch some slack for that...:D

TapME
11-02-2009, 07:57 PM
nice progress Josh. It's going to be a sweet looking sugar-shack when done.

3rdgen.maple
11-02-2009, 09:52 PM
I got a buddy who just got a consignment deal on Amish built buildings. I went and looked at them and they are pretty nice and priced right. Amazing what they build and will deliver anywhere in the us and canada. They come in and install them in 3 days or less. Any size imaginable. Two story garages, sheds and even big horse barnes. All I could see when I was there was sugarhouses lined up one by one. 10 different ones for the small producer, 10 different ones for the medium guy and a whole bunch for the large producers. They even had options to put coupla's on them as well. Funny how we look at things and relate them to maple syrup in one way or another.

MapleME
11-08-2009, 09:32 AM
got the windows in, trimmed and started to frame the cupola. Got the sheathing on the cupola too, but just not enough day light to push the project while 30 feet in the air....sooo, it will have to wait till next weekend.
anyway, updated pics in the facebook link posted earlier for those following.
Josh

3rdgen.maple
11-08-2009, 09:09 PM
30 feet in the air are you building a 3 story sugarhouse?

Greg Morin
11-10-2009, 06:23 PM
very nice blog very interesting to see what others do what kind of garbage cans did you use for storage pros or cons?

Greg Morin
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I got a buddy who just got a consignment deal on Amish built buildings. I went and looked at them and they are pretty nice and priced right. Amazing what they build and will deliver anywhere in the us and canada. They come in and install them in 3 days or less. Any size imaginable. Two story garages, sheds and even big horse barnes. All I could see when I was there was sugarhouses lined up one by one. 10 different ones for the small producer, 10 different ones for the medium guy and a whole bunch for the large producers. They even had options to put coupla's on them as well. Funny how we look at things and relate them to maple syrup in one way or another.

do they have a website?

MapleME
11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
very nice blog very interesting to see what others do what kind of garbage cans did you use for storage pros or cons?

Greg, I just got a couple of garbage cans that had lids that would snap on. They were rubbermaid. I dont know much about how bad the plastic is (or even IF it is bad) but my sap only sat for a few days in them. They are a great alternative to a bulk storage tank. If you look now, they may be on sale and you can spend only 9.99 for a good tank. Another trick is I placed them in the area that I blow most of the snow from my driveway...so they have a nice deep snowbank to keep the sap cool come spring

MapleME
11-11-2009, 05:24 PM
30 feet in the air are you building a 3 story sugarhouse?

well almost 10 foot walls and another 12 to the peak...so up on that cupola, maybe Im 24-26. Its about 20 feet to tall for me to be working in the dark.

MapleME
11-30-2009, 07:46 PM
got the cupola finished, vent doors installed and pulley system installed inside. The main door is hung and trimmed, and the slider going to the wood storage area is completed, need to still install hardware and hang it.

started to frame the shed roof, should be sheathed and shingled saturday.

updated pictures in the facebook link earlier in the thread for anyone interested.

MapleME

Dennis H.
11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Looking good.