PDA

View Full Version : Looking Grimm

abbott
10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I have an old 30" x 8' Grimm arch that is quite rotten. The castings are in decent shape - the door has a crack, one rear leg casting has a crack, and the plate that the stack sits on is quite thin. I have access to stainless steel to rework the tin, but no tools to do it myself. A local fabricator told me it would be about $600 for him to do it.

Within the next year or two i plan to add a forced draft system like the new style arches have. Is it worth it to stick with this arch, or should i be looking for an upgrade? Does anyone know where to look for a used high-efficiency arch?

Steve

The Birdman
10-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I would repair the old one if the pans are in good shape. so even if you replace the repairs will ad value when you sale it. that is if you plan to sale it if not I would'nt worry about it. just replace it.

Russell Lampron
10-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Instead of retinning the old one as is rebuild it into the high efficiency arch now. Some redesign work to the front to make it air tight and some piping to get some air over the fire from the back front and sides should be fairly inexpensive compared to a new arch.

Sugarmaker
10-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree, if you can get it back in shape for $600, that would be the way to go. If you don't like it later it would make a nice arch for someone else. A new high efficient arch might cost you 10K to 15K! I have some pictures ( on the web site) of my old arch that was restored and it came out pretty well. And we are still using it 9 years later.

Regards,
Chris

WF MASON
10-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Is this the arch your currently using ? If it is and its going to break in half before the '010 season is over , than I'd fix it. If your boiling on something now though , and your sure really sure you are going to move into something with air , then I'd list the parts in the for sale listing and bank my money.

abbott
10-17-2009, 08:22 PM
I am boiling on it now. (well..not literally) The rear legs are a little wobbly, but i can make it work for another season. Right now i'm leaning toward making do while i make a plan for forced air in 2011.

tuckermtn
10-18-2009, 04:48 AM
save your dollars if you are planning on a factory built forced air- I talked to Lapierre the other day on a Hurricane wood fired 2.5 x 8 and it was $11,000+.

Russell Lampron
10-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Eric,

Is that the Hurricane Force 5? Are they going to make smaller sizes now? I thought that 3x12 was the smallest Force 5 that you could get.

tuckermtn
10-18-2009, 05:13 AM
no small force 5's - that was for a "regular" hurricane 2.5 x 8

Russell Lampron
10-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Eric,

Did you also check the price for an intensofire?

Amber Gold
10-18-2009, 02:05 PM
The latest Maple Syrup Digest has a Force 5 ad in it and it lists the smallest size as a 3x10. If I don't need to store wood in the sugar house I can fit that in there. Loading every 45 minutes I could just leave the wood outside in the back of my truck. Hmmmm...