PDA

View Full Version : mason jars vs plastic jugs

The Birdman
10-16-2009, 11:43 AM
I know alot of you use mason jars and alot use the plastic syrup jugs. My ? is which will sale better. I like mason jars I love to see the finsh product. The wife wants to buy the plastic syrup. she said it looks more professional. Pat

Dennis H.
10-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I like both.

My opinon is that a mason jar gives it that local made product look, while the plastic jugs with the nice silk screening on them gives the syrup a nice profession look. I would do both and find out what sells best for you.

3rdgen.maple
10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I agree with Dennis as well. If you want professional looks and keep the glass go get some fancy glass bottles they will make you both happy.

SilverLeaf
10-16-2009, 03:33 PM
I've no experience with the plastic jugs, but my limited experience with mason jars vs glass maple syrup bottles is that the bottles sell 2x as fast as the mason jars. The jars do scream "homemade & local" but for whatever reason with syrup people have seemed to want the "this is definitely syrup" look.

mapletbdf
10-16-2009, 03:35 PM
we have always bottled in plastic jugs or maple type glass consider your market ,if you are at a farm market you might want a plastic bottle because of the durability .Use a bottle that is easy can and label . A two piece mason lid and mason jars can also get costly

maplehound
10-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I have tried them both in my Markets. My father conviced me to try the mason jars since they where so much cheaper than the other glass bottles I was using. i placed them on the shelfs along side of some other fancy glass bottles and the plastic bottles that I was selling in at the time. The result was that most of the mason jars got pulled off the shelf ad brought home for my personal use since they weren't moving at all. I will never sell in them again. It is too much work to bottle syrup once I sure don't need to do it more than that.

The Birdman
10-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I can buy quart mason jars for 8.50 a doz. The cheapest I have found quart jugs is 130.00 a 100. .71 cents vs $1.30

KenWP
10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Mason jars are cheaper to buy granted but after filling proper syrup jugs I would only bottle syrup in masons when desperate. They are a pain becasue you have to boil the glass and the tops then put them together. Nice to just screw on a lid and flip it over and go to the next one. One thing I did learn the hard way was to not over fill plastic jugs as the bottom sinks a bit and when you put them down the syrup flows out the top.

brookledge
10-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I buy my own jugs from Sugarhill and just got an order in. The price I paid was 66.83 for a case of qts.(75 of them).Then there is a $20 charge for set up for each size. I never buy just one case but usually 2-5 cases of each size each time I order. This time I odered 3 cases so thats 225 jugs for 220.49. 220.49/225=.979 each.
I like plastic because it is much more forgivable. glass jars break easy. I ship alot in the mail so plastic is my choice.
As which would sell better I think either will sell ok. Although I think most nowadays would prefer plastic. Seams like that is the way most things have gone, peanut buttter, mayo, mustard, ketchup etc., all plastic.
keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Better to fill a jug sitting flat on its bottom, that way you don't have to worry about the bottom bulging downward and a safer too. If you don't have a shelf, rig up something cheap.

darkmachine
10-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Is there a reason why the plastic maple containers are so "ugly"? Glass has great shelf appeal, maple leaves, and other neat bottles. Maple syrup is beautiful, why cover it up with a grey plastic jug, with a brown cap?

Maybe that's just the maple crazy in me. I guess people could buy it just as a condiment, and don't really care what it's in as long as it's convenient to pour, and easy to dispose of when it's empty.

In West Virginia we didn't have any problem moving mason jars (lots of good things come in a mason jar around here). We hope to do some other more appealing containers, probably glass. Probably wont' do plastic jugs unless it gets to be a problem selling or people ask for it.

red maples
10-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I buy my own jugs from Sugarhill and just got an order in. The price I paid was 66.83 for a case of qts.(75 of them).Then there is a $20 charge for set up for each size. I never buy just one case but usually 2-5 cases of each size each time I order. This time I odered 3 cases so thats 225 jugs for 220.49. 220.49/225=.979 each.
I like plastic because it is much more forgivable. glass jars break easy. I ship alot in the mail so plastic is my choice.
As which would sell better I think either will sell ok. Although I think most nowadays would prefer plastic. Seams like that is the way most things have gone, peanut buttter, mayo, mustard, ketchup etc., all plastic.
keith

Thats a good price The maple guys were getting rid of their sugarhill jugs so bought them out they were way cheaper than anywhere else without having to buy so many. I may need more later on but I will worry about that when the time comes.

red maples
10-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I do like glass, they look nice. but I like to see the jugs all lined up with the different sizes and stuff. just looks cool. thats just me.

Jim Schumacher
10-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I have only used mason jars so far. They sold fine but it is not hard to sell 25 gallons of syrup per year, no matter what it is packaged in. This year I will be upgrading to glass bottles to package, hopefully, 100 gallons. I found some 12oz bottles for $.60 each if you buy 1000 or more per order, thats before shipping. ....................Da!m it!! The maple trader made me burn another pizza!.............Anyway, my only concern is that the 12oz bottle will be too small. Any thoughts on that? 12oz is only 3/4 of a pint. It is the typical size that you would see in a grocery store. When you pick it up and handle it it seems like a lot more... Anyone use 12oz bottles?
Jim

The Birdman
10-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I sold 25 gallon last year well 24 kept 1 gal for myself. I had people setting in my kitchen waiting for me to bottle it up sold out by second week in march. Shooting for 250 gallon this year. I've got 50 gal sold for this season. that 50 gal can be mason jar. I have 5 store that would like to carry it. I my even have a good Florda market. Thats if I can produce enough.

dschultz
10-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Jim, I sell the 12oz and quarts.And they sell just as good as quarts,you have people that want the smaller amount
Dan

Jim Schumacher
10-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Schultz, How huch are you getting for the 12oz bottles?

dschultz
10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Schumacher;84081]Schultz, How huch are you getting for the 12oz bottles?[/QUOTE

Jim,I'm getting $7 for them

mapletbdf
10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
cost of syrup glass bottles $9.50 for 12 qt .79 cents each
$6.65 for 12 pt
$8.25 for 12 1/2 pt the oval style
bottle with the handle
all these bottles use a 28 mm cap and should be available at you dealer ,also you dealer should have labels .
one advantage of plastic is to promote your state

The Birdman
10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Indiana needs all the promotion it can get. Went to bufflo Ny and got an evaporator. he's like did'nt think Indiana had maple trees. I have all kinds of people offer there trees to me just for syrup. figured the acres up around 900 have alot of ideas and little money. At least I have room to grow. Pay as you go and go real slow.

barkeatr
10-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Does anyone out there use the canadien small can system? Do you know if its available without a canadien label on the can?

The Birdman
10-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Bascom maple has the cans. they also have the states on them.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-18-2009, 12:12 PM
I was in Walmart yesterday picking up some canning stuff for my wife who is making pepper jelly and noticed walmart had all their glass/mason jars marked down trying to get rid of them. Good time of year to check and buy for those who use them.

3rdgen.maple
10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Guys is it just me or am I the only one that works the cost of the glass or plastic in my syrup price? If a plastic jug cost a dollar well it is worked in the price. So in reality they don't cost me a thing.
Brookledge are they custom screened jugs you get? If so how much was the initial screen and graphics charges?

The Birdman
10-18-2009, 10:07 PM
consumer gets to eat that also. 100 plus gal will take alot of containers. 100 gal = 400 qt + .50 cent per container savings = $ 200.00 in my pocket not on my shelf.

peacemaker
10-18-2009, 11:41 PM
i switched too plastic a few years ago and from mason jars and heard alot of complaints from my steady customers so i went back to mason and mixed in plastic and glass

3rdgen.maple
10-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I find this interesting how our consumers like different containers from one area to the next. I had one customer who bought a case of mason jars and drop them off to be filled with nothing but medium amber. When he came to pick them up he said Can I get those in plastic instead. He said it looked to generic and wanted to switch. No problem. I sold the mason Jars to the Bed and breakfast next door as they just put it on customers pancakes and they were happy enough. Next year it is all custom etched glass for this guy though, well until all the plastic jugs are used up. Neat thing is The B&B will have their own logo as well as a few places that put them on their shelves for resale. Can't wait to see how it works out.

brookledge
10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
3rdgenmaple
It was about 20 yrs ago that my screens where made. For a custom label you need to do the art work and then make a screen for each size container you want. Then when you want an order there is a setup charge of $20 or less depending on how many cases you want.
It cost more upfront but alot cheaper afterwards.
I think that if anyone out there is contemplating having their own jugs made they may want to wait until the issue of the new grades is ironed out.
althoughit might take years before that happens. If they require nutritional info on all containers then artwork and screens will need to be remade.

You might want to inquire on a generic jug that could save you some money.
When I was just starting out I used to can in glass qts. but way to big to do that now
Keith

3rdgen.maple
10-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Brookledge I contemplated getting custom plastic and thought pretty hard about it. Luckily I can get all my graphics and screens done for nothing since I service many printshops. I think if you had a bunch of jugs made up and laws changed you can have them print the needed info on them after the fact and when used up go with a whole new screen. Instead I went and got the equipment to custom etch my own glass. Makes the screens and graphic software and all comes with it. I got great pricing on it as I used up some favors. I have not even unpacked the stuff yet. Too busy filling the freezer and last minute hunny do's. Nice thing is I can custom etch glass to compliment some of the local business with there name and logo's with my info on the back. Plus some of the printshops I deal with are asking about custom etching glass name plates, business card holders and such. With a quick etching cream change it will etch metal as well. So it will make me a profit as well as compliment my syrup. She who must be obeyed is taking charge of this new project.

KenWP
10-20-2009, 05:57 AM
All our plastic jugs have the nutrition stuff on them already. Sort of useless as different syrups have different things in them anyways.

3rdgen.maple
10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Well Ken now that you mention it you would be correct mine do too.

brookledge
10-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I just came home from a board of directors meeting and Sugarhill sent some new caps for us to look at and try. The cap is the same thread and size(55mm) but it has a flip top on it. So you have a choice of either using the flip top or unscrewing the cap.
I think the nice thing about it will be that you won't get all of the crusty sugar that forms around the threads.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
10-20-2009, 10:19 PM
yes sir they are pretty cool. They had some at the NY show. They were looking for some feedback none were for sale. Any idea when they hit the market? I really liked them as well. Just gotta remove them once to peal the seal off and after that flip the top and squeeze.

MartinP
10-21-2009, 05:54 AM
If they sell the tops then someone will need to sell squeeze bottles to go with them.

gmcooper
10-22-2009, 09:27 PM
3rdgen to reply to a post of yours back a few I have for several years figured the cost of container, labels, hang tags even ties for the tags. All those little things add up more than most think.
Mark

3rdgen.maple
10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Mark you would be correct it does add up and it is good business practice to cover your expenses.

Martin the flip tops are being made for the regular plastic sugarhill jugs not squeeze bottles sorry for misleading you.

KenWP
10-23-2009, 05:59 AM
I find the jugs do add up also. I give syrup away to people who have never tasted it but the small jugs cost almost as much as the big ones. I also have had trouble right now finding jugs as D&G is only open a couple of hours a week and the other supplier only has half guarts and really little tiney ones in plastic and glass.

Dill
10-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Just a heads up. I got quart mason jars for 50% off last night. A case of qts for 5.59, works out much cheaper than plastic.

Dennis H.
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Just another thought on containers. You could also have your customers give you conainers to put their syrup in. Either mason jars or syruo jugs that they saved from before and cleaned. Once you fill them you could attach a label or tag with your name and address.
You can explain to them that you are trying your part in recycling and helping the enviroment.
We have a fall festival here where a local history org makes cider and apple butter, they offer mason jars and small jugs to buy it in but I would say that probably 75% of there sales goes into containers that people drop off for them to fill.

Now I do not know all the rules that regulate what type of containers that you can use or if using prior used containers is allowed but this is just somthing to think about.

3rdgen.maple
10-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I was just looking through the New york state ag. regulations for syrup producers and unless I missed something there is nothing in it about what containers are acceptable. I welcome anybody to supply me a container to fill and the price will reflect that. Thing is people around here seem to like the a genuine maple container to take home with them. On a side note I was in Wegman's today and seen that they dropped their prices on syrup alot. They went from 19.99 a quart to 14.99 a quart. 12.oz of organic was 8.99. This does not help me at all. Then to boot an amish family had a setup in town and they were selling bakegoods and a gallon of syrup for 24 bucks. At that price I would sell everything but a few taps and get a halfpint and call it a hobby. Omish are taking over our town in a hurry must see a dozen different families go by the house everyday. Local businesses are getting a little uneasy about it.

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-24-2009, 04:29 AM
3rdGen,
Had Amish neighbors here for 35 years. They have undersold us for years but I would not trade them for a lot of the "English" neighbors I've had to deal with over the years. When some one says they can buy it cheaper down the road, I say "fine, get it down the road then". Some do, some don't. Over all, I don't lose much business to them. I work with them so they know what the bulk price is and even truck their syrup to a bulk buyer along with my own. They are not stupid and when they can sell for more than $24 in a drum usually will not sell that low in a jug.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-24-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't think there would be any problem to charge someone for refilling their jug as they are responsible for how clean their jug is. A lot of bottled water places refill your 5 gallon water bottles, you bring them in, they fill them, you pay and are on the road in short order.

I think the key is that you are not selling syrup in recycled jugs other than to the person that brought them in. I have quite a few people give me jugs back and I clean and sanitize them and use them for personal use and for giving syrup away to property owners and helpers. Since they are getting it for free, then they shouldn't have a problem with a recycled jug.

KenWP
10-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Where I come from in Alberta we had Hutterites which is a different kind of mennonite and they own a lot of country now becasue they will pay the price and they raise every critter knowen to get by. They usually have 120 people to a colony and they show up at every farmers market and sale in the country but they do not sell cheaper then anybody else just a lot of it. Some people don't care for them either until they have to sell land and they are the only ones with money in hand to buy it. If they had maple trees they would have those tapped also. Why anybody would sell real cheap dosn't make sense unless they are scared of looseing a sale that bad. I can use the syrup myself before I go too cheap that or give it as gifts.