PDA

View Full Version : Do Fire Grates burn out?

SilverLeaf
10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Wondering if, over time, even an SS fire grate made of angle iron will warp or otherwise burn out, just from being unprotected from all the heat. And if so, are the fire grates generally built to be removable, and not welded in place, so they could be easily replaced if that happens?

A second question - has anyone ever seen, as an arch design element, a length of angle iron close to each side of the inside of the arch, stretching from the front of the firebox all the way to the back of the flue? The purpose would be 1) to help hold the firebrick in place on the sides, and 2) to add structural strength to the arch, lengthwise. I've seen a picture of an arch with that feature and originally thought it was a great idea, but have since started to question whether that angle iron, being directly exposed to the flame, would start to suffer the effects of heat over time...

Fred Henderson
10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Once the fire/heat burns the carbon out of the steel it will fail. SS will last longer than the same angle of mild steel.

SilverLeaf
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
So, on the grates, is the solution to make it removable so it can be replaced when it fails, or is the solution to somehow strategically cover it with insulation? (i.e. 1/2 firebrick? I suppose a bunch of holes would have to be drilled in it...)

3rdgen.maple
10-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Yes firegrates should be removable over time they warp and fail. I think that heavy cast ones are the best bet. My old arch however had steel ones that were half inch thich and 2 inches wide and held up for a long time. They were positioned so the half inch side faced up.

Fred Henderson
10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Grimm grates are like a channel with the channel up once they fill up with ash the ash acts as an insulator for the metal. Which helps to protect them from the intense heat.

brookledge
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM
One key thing that helps make grates last longer is that they get air from the bottom to cool them. If the ashes are allowed to fill up underneath them so that air can not flow around them then they will sag.If grates are taken careof they will last alon time
Keith

Sugarmaker
10-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes Mild steel angle Iron grates warp, so I would recommend having them loose for clean out and or replaceable if they wont hold a fire any more.
Mine will be OK for another year but they look like a sway back old horse! But they will still hold a fire and will not fall through into the ash pit.

Regards,
Chris

cheesegenie
10-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I did know about keeping the ashes away from the bottom to keep them from burning out. BUT I did not know those D&G grates I have go channel up. I always used them with the smooth side up, thanks Fred for that eye opener.

Fred Henderson
10-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I did know about keeping the ashes away from the bottom to keep them from burning out. BUT I did not know those D&G grates I have go channel up. I always used them with the smooth side up, thanks Fred for that eye opener.

You are welcome. We help one and another here, always. In my old evap I tryed some angle iron with "V" up they did not last thru the first year. Had I of used them with "V" down and let them fill with ash they would have lasted much longer.

3rdgen.maple
10-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Fred are those grates the same style that came with your arch? Patrick told me smooth side up and that the channel was to face down to stop them from sagging. Curious how you put the ones that came with the arch.

Fred Henderson
10-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Yes, the orignals were smooth side up. Mine warped badly last year and I had to replace them. I sent pics to Patrick but as usual he had a 100 excuses. I need gartes right away so I just went out and bought the Grimm's.It does no good to argue with someone that is hundred of miles away, however if I could have had my hands around his throat.

3rdgen.maple
10-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks Fred I remember you having that problem that is why I asked cause I wanted to make sure he/I had them correct. I hopemine hold up them things are a bit pricey.

SilverLeaf
10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. Good thing I asked - not only would I have gone and had the grate welded in place, I probably would have had the "V" of the angle iron flipped the wrong way...! I like that "ash insulation" idea.

RileySugarbush
10-19-2009, 04:48 PM
My angle grate is good as new after 5 seasons with v's down and forced air .