PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized syrup

cncaboose
10-14-2009, 08:37 PM
I was bottling some syrup that I had stored down cellar in 5 gallon stainless soda kegs tonight and one of the 4 kegs has an oxidized/burnt flavor. The other 3 are fine. Syrup was made March '09. I've seen this before in non oxygen barrier plastic jugs but never in stainless. Any ideas how this happened? Can I salvage it by mixing it in the evaporator when I'm making new syrup next spring without damaging the whole batch? Or do I just have to sell it as commercial off flavor syrup?

brookledge
10-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Had you ever used that soda keg for syrup before? If so and it was good then it has to be something this year when you made it. If not there is a good chance that the off flavor came from the container. You said you had 3 other ones that were fine, were they from the same batch of syrup?
THe best that I can suggest now is try and think back to the time you filled it and see if anything comes to mind.
I have been using kegs for alot of years and have opened some that are 2 years old and they are like the day they were canned.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
10-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Don't know if this is the same issue but I had a batch that when I taste tested it It had a hint of an off flavor. I had 2 other people taste it and said it was good. It was still quite hot and right after it was filtered. I was skeptical about it so I put it in a 5 gallon container and marked it for worst case scenerio mersh. I opened that container when I sold out of syrup in hopes I was wrong. It definatley has a burnt off flavor to it. Hard to explain the taste almost a burnt buddy taste. I was thinking since the syrup was now cold the flavor was more pronounced. Batch before it and after it was good stuff.

KenWP
10-15-2009, 05:57 AM
I have a batch that seems to have that burnt taste also. I solved the problem and gave it away to a bunch of people in small bottles. They all never tasted the stuff before so they all figured it was heaven. I have one other batch that I know is buddy period and I am going to make beans with it and what ever other hidden taste things I can find to make.