PDA

View Full Version : Gas drills

Jim Schumacher
10-14-2009, 07:10 PM
At what point does one upgrade to a gas powered drill? It seems so excessive. A cordless drill works so well. The reason I ask is because there is a used one for sale near by.

Russell Lampron
10-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Most producers are getting rid of their gas drills in favor of the cordless ones. With the health spouts a cordless drill will drill alot of holes per battery. Not as much noise, no exhaust fumes and lighter to carry.

Teuchtar
10-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I started with a gas powered drill, but couldn't stand the stinkin 2-stroke fumes and noise right near my head. Sold it on good old ebay for twice what I paid for it.
I'm running with an 18volt cordless, using 2 batteries. The spare battery recharges quicker than I can drain down the other.
Even my old 14 volt was better than the gas powered.

dschultz
10-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Jim,stay with the cordless buy another battery for it,instead of going gas powered.I have a gas powered one but use a friends cordless till the batteries run out of juice then I use the gas.We get 200 holes per battery and it's alot lighter to carry and if you stick the bit just put it in reverse and drill again

vtmaplemaker
10-14-2009, 09:06 PM
I own both cordless and gas powered... My bush is as far as 3/4 of a mile from any power source, so charging batteries is a concern.. If I am tapping alone, I have enough battery to cary me for the day, and that works great with the 18V Makita Lith. If I have help, I can tap alot faster with a gas drill, one person drilling, and one person seating.. I guess you could say they both have their place.

brookledge
10-14-2009, 09:11 PM
The gas powered drill was popular when taps where 7/16 and before they had the technology for making good batteries for cordless. I still have mine, it has not been started in a while but it was a good tapper.
About the only thing I would say is that if you are miles away from civilization like some big producers it would still be good to use. For me I'm never that far from a 110 outlet to recharge a battery.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Even if you are miles away from civilization, you either have to carry extra gas or extra batteries, your choice. Some of the big 24 volt cordless drills can do about 500 or more 5/16" taps on one battery I have heard. I can get about 200 on a battery on my Hitachi.

Jim Schumacher
10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Now I know why he is selling it. Thank you gentlemen.