PDA

View Full Version : Welding dividers

wegnerwelding
10-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm making a crossflow pan out of 22ga. The first one I made was out of 16 ga. and I full welded the dividers from end to end. I see some people just stitch their dividers. What is done on commercially made pans? Is there any cross contamination between cells, and does it trap film underneath that would be a bacteria trap in the future? One more question, should I fold the dividers in the middle, which would make it double walled?

Thanks,
Andy

Fred Henderson
10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Folding the dividers is the best way to go. Then you will not there will be no cross mixing.

Haynes Forest Products
10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
My Waterloo pans in the drop flue are single sided stitch welded ( but there tight) In the finish pans they are double walled bent from the bottom sheet metal so you cant trap liquid because the folded air space is towards the arch. I wouldnt double wall it and then full weld thats alot of work for little return and one small pin hole and it will blow up like a ballon:o

IF you have a flat pan that has dividers any warping of the pans will open up areas that will allow sap syrup transfer so either full weld or alot of stitch welds. Im not a big fan of full welding only because it causes warping if its over done.

WF MASON
10-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I would hate to think I was going to butt weld a piece of 22ga. to another piece , if your set on doing it , put a 90 degree x 3/4" bend on the top and bottom , oppsite directions , then clamp it flat to the bench(inside the pan), clamp a bar to the back to hold it straight,tac it every 12", then 6", then 3", then 1". After the first boil the seam is plugged with sugar and sealed. Alot better finished job then trying to weld the full length.

Fred Henderson
10-14-2009, 06:23 AM
That butt welding is exactly why I bent 3 channels when I made my flat pan. All I had to do was slot the ends and weld it there. The tack the tops of the channels together.