PDA

View Full Version : Steam Stack lenght?

bison1973
10-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm in the process of putting the stacks for my steam hoods through my sugarshack roof. They came with three sections of 4 ft each. Two sections will get it through my roof. My question is... should I use the third section to make it higher? Is it neccesary? Do I need to make it higher for better draw?

RileySugarbush
10-11-2009, 03:40 PM
You should get plenty of draw with that length. The only worry would be if it is wind shadowed by your roof ridge or cupola.

maplehound
10-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I also got three sections with mine and I only used a half of one. It still works fine.

RileySugarbush
10-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I actually just ran mine into the cupola and didn't have to run it through the roof.
Even with the elbow and short length it draws great.

maple flats
10-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I ran mine into the cupola without penetrating the roof with the vents and it works fine.

Haynes Forest Products
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM
If the steam hood covers the steam hood completley then it does not matter because the steam is pushed out the the steam pipe. If the hood is open on the sides then draw is important so the size of the pipe is importand. You want a large enough size that the steam can flow unrestricted.

RileySugarbush
10-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Another thing to consider is how the draft affects preheater performance. As Haynes points out, if the sides of your hood are tight, then what comes in (generated water vapor) goes out the stack because there is no where else to go. But if you have a raised hood and a very efficient stack, you may pull in lots of cool room air and reduce your preheater performance. In that case, add a stack damper.

Rhino
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Good idea to install drip trays under your steam stacks, we have them on both our stacks with 5/16 hoses that run into the channels of our hoods. When we sometimes pull the hose out of the piggy-back inspection door, and watch it, a good amount of water comes out in spurts. (we have a 20' steam stack on our piggy-back to pull the steam from our flu pan faster)

bison1973
10-12-2009, 09:27 PM
The hood I have fits tight on the flue pan. The syrup pan hood is suspended.

So are you saing have a higher stack on the syrup hood and just enouhg to get through the roof for the flue pan.

And if I have extra stack sections left over could I add them to the smoke stack for added benefit? (my stacks are all the same diameter)