PDA

View Full Version : Half Pint grate

stoweski
10-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Anyone out there have an older model (barrel style) 1/2 pint with a grate? I'm not sure if that model had a grate to begin with but I figured I'd ask. I'm looking for a picture of one and the approximate size.

Thanks,
Keith

BarrelBoiler
10-10-2009, 09:33 AM
our barrel style didn't have a grate....Clan posted he was gatting one for his new rig maybe he'll ppost pictures:D ...the last little set i had i bought a fireplace grate and cut it down to size. only lasted one season of 15 taps. it was real cheap. maybe a storm grate from a scrap yard cut down???

stoweski
10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks. I'll keep my eye open for his latest purchase.
I did come across a fire grate for a barrel stove from Vogelzang. Maybe it'll be a Christmas present this year. I'd like to get the wood off of the bottom of the barrel/firebrick so I can use a blower.

Turtlecreek
11-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I got my barrel second hand from Dan W and he had a small cast iron grte in it and said it worked well. I haven't tried it yet since I am in the process of putting in a blanket, re bricking, and putting in a new back in the barrel. When i get this all done I plan on doing a test boil, then I can tell you more. If you need to know the dimensions i can get a measurement for you.

Gary R
11-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Stoweski,

Careful with the Vogelzang. I bought one for my first time boiling. I used it one year. I don't think it would last two years. Pretty cheap cast iron. Look into using fire brick and drill holes into them. I did it and it was easy. Ive only done two test fires, but the holes are staying open with a blower underneath.

KenWP
11-17-2009, 06:11 AM
I made a grate out of some kind of cast metal pipe I found in the bush. Was so hard I could do nothing else with it. Have no idea what it was for but out back they buried a whole gas station 50 years ago and there's a whole bunch of crap.

stoweski
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas and the info about the Vogelzang grate. It looked pretty durable based on the picture but obviously until you use one you never know.

I think I'll try the firebrick idea with the holes in them. I have plenty of firebrick so for my first year I'll give it a shot and see how they work.

My other option was to find some rebar and weld it. Still may try that if I can find some lying around.

Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Rebar won't work, not the right kind of steel and would be laying on the bottom quick. Angle iron would probably work if you drilled lots of holes in it for air and turned it V up so the ashes could insulate it. You could use like 1.5" angle iron and leave gaps of aprox 1/2" between each of row it. This is similar to Leader's grates and they are very durable.

RileySugarbush
11-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Here is a photos of a half pint angle grate.http://www.mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=1017&stc=1&d=1258945155