PDA

View Full Version : Bees?

MapleME
10-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Does anyone in my area keep Bees? Been reading and reading- and found a great forum, but wanted to see if anyone in Maine on here also keeps bees. I need a lesson.

Josh in Brunswick

KenWP
10-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Lesson number one. Bees have this sharp little gizmo on their rear ends and if you tick them off they sting you.
Lesson number two Napoleon liked bees and they were his symbol.
Lesson 3 they make honey if you treat them right.

Thats just about all I know except how to treat them and such and that's to hard to explain on here.

The Birdman
10-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Maple I'm not in your area but I have bees. I know you have beekeepers in your area. try this site beesourse.com. Pat

Fred Henderson
10-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I am getting next spring. I went to an Amish man today to order my hives(3) of them. They are by far the most interesting insect I have ever read about. Going to start with 2 hives. I have to order my bees (girls) in or around Jan and pick them up in the spring.

Sugarmaker
10-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Yep, Beesource is a mirror image of the trader only for bee addicts.
Cant get off the trader long enough to spend much time there :). I guess my real passion is maple.
I did just extract 250 lb of nice goldenrod honey. It will come in handy as small source of income now that the maple is gone.

Two hives died this year.:( 8 will go into winter.

Get a good suit and take a bee keeping class.

Regards,
Chris

gmcooper
10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I have been helping dad some with his bees. Looks like we will be selling wooden ware and nucs this coming year. Cumberland County Beekeepers Association is a great place to get good info. Lots of folks willing to help you out. Meetings are first Monday of month in Cumberland.
Good Luck
Mark