PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 ecolo tap.

l.mathews
01-29-2005, 07:33 PM
hi,
i am switching to the new ecolo tap for faster recovery.also to pick up smaller diameter trees.what is the smallest size you would recomend? and how deep should the hole be drilled? i am getting my new 3x12 evaporator on feb. 7 and by switching to the smaller tap i hope that i can pick up more trees. the bush has never been tapped before and consists of mostly 6"through 13-15" trees. also would 400 taps for this year be enough to run my new evaporator? any imput on this matter would help.
thank you lee

themapleking
01-29-2005, 07:55 PM
10" trees would be the smallest you could tap. Any smaller than that is useless because of the small crown.
400 taps is good for a 3x12. Anything on vacuum? That would make 1 tap = to 1 1/2 taps or more. Drill 1 1/2 " deep on the small trees.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-29-2005, 08:05 PM
With 400 taps, you can probably boil about 3.5 to 4 hours on a gallon per tap run. 400 taps is enough, but you could handle 2 or 3 taps that many easily as you add taps.

brookledge
01-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Lee,
I have a leader 3X12 with revolution pans , an inferno arch , pre-heater and hood. I have no problem running at 140 GPH. Either way 400 taps will be very easy to handle gives you room to grow.
As far as your trees go, If you have any trees you are planning on thinning out tap them even if they are small. sugar content won't be great but with the 3X12 who cares. Otherwise I agree with the others don't tap the 10" and under. Look at each tree if they are tight you might want to do some thinning before you set up the bush if you are using tubing. Remember you can have a 10" tree that is fighting for light with hardly any branches or a 10" that already has a nice crown to it.
Keith

DirtPoor
01-30-2005, 04:06 AM
If you haven't already bought your 5/16'' plastic taps , I was talking to a sugarmaker who had been to Canada last year to visit a friend who has a 20'000 tap bush. The guy had showed him the 'NEW 5/16'' Stainless tap made by CDL , new last year , he had tapped half dozen trees outside the shack , putting a bucket hook on the stainless tap and 12'' away same tree put a 5/16'' plastic tap with hook and hung buckets , he said every day the stainless tap would run twice as much sap. said you could watch the stainless tap dripping two drips to one the plastic !!!!!! And look in the bucket and see twice as much sap. He said the canadain was jumping up and down saying , next year if I change my taps and get just a 1/3rd more syrup the taps will be paid for and I'll make more money.
Why did the stainless tap drip twice as much ,?? does it get colder then the plastic at nite ?? bacteria ??

l.mathews
01-30-2005, 05:10 AM
hi,
i do plan on expanding. however the bush was selectivly logged off 6 years ago. i was highly impressed when i went to look at the land. no skidder ruts no trees skinned. very nice job! i will have to cut some trees that are iffy so they do not tare down the lines but for the most part it is a very nice bush. 57 acres of 90% sugar maples all 6"-13". i do not know if i will have time this year for vac. but i plan on 2006 season getting this bush set up with wet/dry lines and put up app. 1000 taps on vac. the ice storm of 98 did very little damage. the trees all have nice crowns and have a fare amount of room to grow.
i thank every one for the imput.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Lee,

Sounds like you have an extremely nice setup that most guys would give their eye teeth for. As far as the 6" maples go, the more non maple species you can cut, it will give more light to these smaller trees and they will be ready to tap a lot sooner.

Take care and hope you have a great year!!!!! :D