PDA

View Full Version : Loggers make great friends

Dave Lister
10-06-2009, 09:43 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/3989130176_a33d08b962_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/timandmartha/3989130176/sizes/l/)

I was introduced to a guy that lives 15 minutes from my house who owns and operates his own saw mill. Its a beast of a thing, complete with a debarking unit. He said he accumulates slashings faster than he can get rid of them and that I can have all that I want for free. Piles are mostly spruce with some oak here and there.

WHOO HOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! !

For the first time since I started this crazy hobby 8 years ago, my firewood is not only cut and split, its even stacked and covered.

red maples
10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I would have to re phrase that and say "Loggers are good friends to have!!"

darkmachine
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
We have the same type of agreement with a local cabinet company. They bring in rough cut and mill it, all the long milling scraps they bundle and strap. They will even load them on the truck with the fork lift. The wood is all dry, mixture of Oak, walnut, poplar, maple, and some other misc. varieties. Hopefully they keep producing cabinets in spite of the hard economic times, so we have a continuous supply of wood. :)

MapleME
10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
hey share the love!!! Im not too far!!
anyway I hope you are payin this guy in syrup!!! keep him happy!

3rdgen.maple
10-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Darkmachine that is awsome I never even thought about that as I have a custom cabinet manufacturer not that far away. Might have to pay them a visit.

darkmachine
10-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Most places have to pay by the pound for disposal of their wood scraps so it's definatly worth the effort to find out. This factory used to grind everything and run it through a boiler to heat the plant, but when it changed hands they fired everyone who knew how it worked and sold it(the boiler), so that left them with a gas heating bill, and a wood disposal bill, oh well, it works out great for us.

KenWP
10-08-2009, 06:06 AM
I ran a roof truss company for years and never thought of buying or cutting firewood. I used to just collect the 2x6-8-10 peices off just one saw and had more then enough for several people to burn. The truss shop here in town bags up a few peices and the store sells them to campers but they throw away more then they sell.

Dave Lister
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I have already informed the nice gentleman that he will be getting a nice bottle of syrup come spring time. Already used the 5 gallons we made last year so he gets to wait in line like everybody else.