PDA

View Full Version : Stack questions

Clan Delaney
10-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Okay, you all know me by now. I've got me my evaporator, and now and need a stack... but I don't want to spend a lot of money. Like I said, you know me, so you know I've already got some ideas...

For example, what about building a chimney out of cement block, or soil pipe? Would the heat be too much? To take that farther... has anyone heard of someone who just uses a properly built brick chimney? There's been one in my parent's house for years. I'd think it worth it to spend more now for something that would last a long long time. And Also, on my last trip through Home Depot I saw air ducting that looks like it'd work just fine. Even if it burned out in a year, it's pretty cheap.

In the short term, I've got my feelers out for some used black stovepipe.

3rdgen.maple
10-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Clan think about how long you plan on having that new toy. I think the cost of putting up a block chimney could get you some nice stainless steel stack. If you only plan on a few years with it then just go cheap. If you plan on a long time with it I think the cost replacing black pipe every other year might make the long term cost of stainless cheaper.

RileySugarbush
10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't know about tile pipe, I bet that would be ok. I am pretty sure the cement chimney blocks wouldn't hold up the the extreme stack temps in an evaporator.

I have used cheap round galvanized air ducts and they have lasted for a couple years outside. If you are looking for cheap, that's the way to go. Careful at the roof jack so you don't burn down your nice new shack!

WF MASON
10-06-2009, 03:49 AM
The Belchertown mantance crew must be out replacing 12" calvert on the back roads there , check the side of the back roads or behind the mantance shed , generally they are dumped out there. Select the one that has the end crushed the least. Use angle iron and bolt it to the outside wall leaving a air space (6"), the bottom can rest on blocks or a cement pad. Cut a hole through the wall from your evaporator and mark the calvert with the flue pipe, cut your flue pipe into your 'stack pipe' now and your ready to rumble. There's one at a sap house near here thats been up for over ten years. Looks stupid , works great. Things are different here in Maine.

Haynes Forest Products
10-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Clan How do you propose to support the block chimny? All that weight on a wood floor is a problem. all the brick, block or cement ones set on a footer sstarting at ground leve. If Im not mistaken you built your shack over a drainage spillway.
Bite the bullet and get the good stuff so when you resell the rig you will pass on the improvement

Clan Delaney
10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Clan How do you propose to support the block chimny? All that weight on a wood floor is a problem. all the brick, block or cement ones set on a footer sstarting at ground leve. If Im not mistaken you built your shack over a drainage spillway.
Bite the bullet and get the good stuff so when you resell the rig you will pass on the improvement

:lol: I bit that bullet when I bought the evaporator! And, we like to refer to that drainage spillway as a "creek". When it's running. It all about the marketing. :D

3% Solution
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Clan,
Here's what I did.
Went to Home Depot, bought an insulated pipe kit the would go through the roof.
Came with everything you need to go through the roof, also 4 feet of stainless pipe to go outside.
For the inside I had my sheetmetal guy make me two lengths of stainless stove pipe.
Now you can use regular stove pipe inside.
This setup has worked great and it was easy to install.

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
10-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Well Clan if you dont get the right Flue pipe I would spend the money for a paddle so your not UP that CREEK without it:o :lol: :cry:

buxtonboiler
10-07-2009, 04:15 AM
I can tell you that based on my experience last year, Chimney tiles don't hold up. I got 3 chimney liners flues, tiles, whatever. they lasted about 2 hours each before they cracked or outright collapsed on me. i was using a cement block evaporator out side.