PDA

View Full Version : Maple sugar candy with other stuff???

red maples
10-02-2009, 08:26 AM
So I purchased some maple sugar candy the other day. I looked at the ingredients and expecting to just read "pure maple syrup"!!!! but it had pure cane syrup, Maple syrup, corn sryup, and fresh creamery butter in that order. Maple wasn't even the first thing listed. Is this common practice to add all that stuff or is it just a bigger company trying to stretch the dollars I looked after I ate a piece because it didn't seem to be the right texture and not a strong enough maple flavor that you expect from maple sugar candy. I Eat alot of maple syrup candy...oh I love it SOOOOO! but was dissapointed by this!!!

mountainvan
10-02-2009, 08:56 AM
They can add what they want as long as it's not "pure" maple sugar. Yes I suspect they add the junk to cut costs and fool the consumer. Once again, Buyer beware!!

maplwrks
10-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Maple Grove makes a "blended candy" that has cane and corn syrup in it. Always look for PURE maple candy if you want the good stuff! I just got back from the Big E, got real good at candy making, turning 1-1 1/2 barrels of syrup a day into candy.

red maples
10-02-2009, 10:41 AM
wow thats alot of candy!!!! Oh yes...buyer beware is right. I didn't even know they had blended candy. BUT NOW I DOOO!!!!!