PDA

View Full Version : black pails?

SilverLeaf
09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm looking for sap collection pails that will hold a bit more than the 1 gallon jugs I'm currently using. And I Just found out that I can get some 3 gallon buckets for free from the local deli. They're food grade & everything.

The problem is, they're black. Should I stay safe and avoid them? I'm wondering if they'll absorb too much sunlight and heat up the sap & ruin it. Most days I'll be collecting every day, but with my work schedule occasionally there are 2 days between collections.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Clan Delaney
09-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd say that if they're free and they're your best option, go for it (provided they've been thoroughly cleaned). The black will absorb more heat from direct sunlight than a white container, it's true. Early in the season anyway you won't likely have a problem with sap spoiling. The possible increased bacterial growth might just mean that you'll make less light syrup early on.

SilverLeaf
09-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I can live with "less light syrup" if that's the only downside. :D I was just curious how warm it might get inside that bucket on those 60+ degree days that inevitably pop up later in the spring while the sap is still flowin'.

3rdgen.maple
09-29-2009, 05:31 PM
I can live with "less light syrup" if that's the only downside. :D I was just curious how warm it might get inside that bucket on those 60+ degree days that inevitably pop up later in the spring while the sap is still flowin'.

I'm thinking 60+ degrees:o Give a shot for a year and see what happens if they are free you are not out anything. Then tell us the results.

KenWP
09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
From my experience they will be in the shade part of the day so should not heat up all that much. You might miss out on the natual RO from the bit of ice you can throw out early in the season but that is not much anyways.

Fred Henderson
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
You might try your local Mac Donalds or BurgerKing for some white 5 gal pails.

buxtonboiler
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
You could also try a local bakery, maybe at the supermarket. I got a bunch from them last year that had frosting in them, and they are white with covers.

SilverLeaf
09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
buxton - I just found out the bakery section of a different supermarket in town has those same white frosting pails you have. They want to charge me a buck apiece, though. :mad: Not that that's a bank-breaker or anything, but free is sure preferable!

So, the conundrum - safe white pails that I have to pay for? Or free black ones that might not be the best? Maybe I'll get a bunch of each and then, per 3rdgen's suggestion, report back to you all next year on whether there was a difference...

red maples
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
when sap is running hard your emptying them at the end of the day anyway (usually) so temp shouldn't be too much problem. like 3rdgen said try it out see what happens. free is free right!

danno
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Won't make a difference in they are black or white - if they are buried in snow. Pack snow over them and throw a tarp over the top to insulate the snow. Snow will melt much slower on a warm day.

I used to use 35 gallon dark blue plastic garbage cans - and they worked fine. During a real warm spring one year, I tried to put the garbage cans in a cold creek that runs past the sugarhouse, that did not work so well - they wanted to float away:)

I use black 5's now to hold syrup. You will probably quickly find out that you are going to need bigger sap storage.

Woops - never mind this post - I see you are looking for sap buckets, not sap storage.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Spend the extra dollar per bucket, you won't be sorry. We all like free, but it could mean 20 or 30 degrees temperature difference in sap if the bucket is getting daytime sun and this could create problems later in the season.