PDA

View Full Version : clump of 8 or 10 soft maples

woodsmith
09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I have been improving my small woodlot for 10 years and just started my own boiling operation this past spring. In one area of my sugarbush I have a clump of maples inside about a 2' diameter, there are about 10 trees coming out of this spot (which seems to be from one root ball) and only two are of a usable size at this point. Should I thin this clump or let nature take its course?

Haynes Forest Products
09-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Thinning out a clump like that will lead to the tree suckering out and rotting at the base. The suckers dont add to the health of the tree. I would tap the big ones and call it good. all you will end up with is a tree that is off ballance

Russell Lampron
09-29-2009, 06:53 PM
If you are using vacuum put a tap in all of the ones that will support a tap, about 3" or larger. As they die off thin them out. A clump like that isn't going to produce a prize tree so get what you can out of them. The whole clump of trees is a cull.

mtnmeadowmplfarm
10-01-2009, 05:16 AM
I wouldnt be scared to thin out this clump of trees. If you leave them, two things will happen: some of the stems will eventually die, leaving a rotten stump anyway, and the healthy stems will not grow as fast because of overcrowding. Cut the trees a little high on the stem, where there is hopefully a little more room to work, then trim the stumps down low and neat afterwards.

woodsmith
10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
thanks for your thoughts, I think I'm gonna thin it and hope for the best, it is close to the back yard so I don't want to lose it entirely, but I was thinking it would at least look better thinned out, away we go!!