PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Tool Question

Littlesap
09-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Guys,

I am new to the madness and picked up some tubing over the summer with the intention of putting 75-100 trees on lines and another ~25 on buckets. I picked up taps and tubing from Bascom's this summer but I didn't think to ask about how to attach the various sections of tubing to the drop lines. I've read about one handed fitting tools and two handed fitting tools, any recommendations out there? And where to pick one up? Also if I install a main line will this tool do the trick for that as well or do I need something else (and if so what)?

Many thanks

Papa John's Sugar Shack
09-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Littlesap- I have both, but I use the two handed tool for everything

brookledge
09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I know they are alot of money but once you use one you will never want to do with out one again. I like the two handed tool. Ask around, check with other sugarmakers in Ct. you might be able to borrow one.
Otherwise I know some use hot water or another heat source but for the tightest fit it is better using no heat.
By the sounds of the amount of taps you will not need any special tool for putting main line together.
You do however need to decide on the type of maifolds you are going to use. And I would recomend you go with 3/4" mainline with the saddle type manifolds.
Good Luck
Keith

Maplewalnut
09-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Go with the two handed tool if you are going to buy one. I know they are alot of money but shop around. There was almost a $100 difference in supply houses when I bought mine two years ago.

ennismaple
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
The 2 handed tool is great and was worth every penny. For 100 trees I don't know if I'd buy one. We put up thousands of taps by warming the tubing in your mouth and pushing them on the fittings. It's not as fast but still works.

Don't be surprised by the tool names. A one-handed tubing tool requires 2 hands and a 2-handed tool needs 3! I've got the bruises on the inside of my right hip to prove it.

red maples
09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I bought my single handed tool from the maple guys...(they have a picture!!!) and it is the best saved so much time!!! making 200 drop lines on the couch. and works with all 5/16 fittings (so far) what I will do for the laterals is put them up then tighten a little, then mark where the T's will go for the drop lines and loosen it then go back through and install T's and dropsfrom the main line out.

Randy Brutkoski
09-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Even for only 100 trees you still need to buy one. I made the mistake for years and chewed on the ends to loosen it up to put on the tee or spout. And hundreds of times i have had the line come off a tee. Since using the tool i have had very few come disconected. Its not worth losing a half of a run when you have a line near your tank that is down. Trust me, i think every little critter in the woods knows every curse word in the book because i tried to take the cheap way to go.

KenWP
09-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Another mystery of maple what a one or two handed tubeing tool even does. I think they are the gizmos with visegrips welded on them but what they do is my problem. I know I tried to pull a Tee out of one of the premade drops from D&G and gave up and cut it off.

TapME
09-28-2009, 07:02 PM
littlesap, look up tubing tools in a search and see what comes up that can help you.

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Ken,
If you want to come visit for a day, I'm sure that I could provide ample opportunity for you to learn a variety of things that these "gizmoes with vice grips" can do. In fact once you learn what they do you could probably be real popular by traveling around to various "Traders" operations and demonstrating tubing tool skills for a day or two at a time:D Hey, can you Parlay-voo Franky much yet?

maplehound
09-28-2009, 10:42 PM
I have put up all my tubing with just a one handed tool. I do however ocasionally borrow a two hander from a fellow sugar maker. I wouldn't be without my one hander though, it is so nice and easy to carry when I am in the woods just looking for leaks. My sugggestion to you though would be to get to know other sugarmakers in you area and ask to borrow one if at all possible then after you sell syrup purchase one with all that profit. Or take the one you borrow to a good welder/fabricator and see if he can make you one just like it. (that is what I did)

3% Solution
09-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Littlesap,
We have 130 taps and we have a two handed tool.
My experience is simple; if you chew on the tubing you will pop out a filling that will cost you as much as the tool will cost you!
You will not doubt be ahead of the game if you just buy one, they don't go bad.
Just my experience!

Dave

KenWP
09-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Ken,
If you want to come visit for a day, I'm sure that I could provide ample opportunity for you to learn a variety of things that these "gizmoes with vice grips" can do. In fact once you learn what they do you could probably be real popular by traveling around to various "Traders" operations and demonstrating tubing tool skills for a day or two at a time:D Hey, can you Parlay-voo Franky much yet?

I have trouble learning French in this class for three reasons. One I am over 50,two everybody else speaks spanish and its so close to french its not funny and three I am deaf and can't use my hearing aids as the whole class will not shut up and the background noise drives me nuts. Rudest people I have ever seen when it comes to talking while the teacher is trying get their attention.
I wish a lot of you guys lived both closer and in the same country as it would help getting advise on a few things. Hard to find out a lot around here due to language and the Quebec Maple Syrup CO-OP.

Brent
09-29-2009, 01:23 PM
I think there are too many other really good toys out there to spend that much on a tubing tool for 100 taps. I put up a bunch in Feb last year without one. I took blow torch out and gently warmed the ends and pushed them on. If you get at it now, on warmer days, you won't even need the torch.

southdevonbeef
09-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Look in the papers for auctions that have maple equipment. We went to one last sat and I bought a 2 handed tool for $160. Theres a deal at every sale!!! Plus you get the chance to meet and talk with other maple producers.

Haynes Forest Products
09-30-2009, 10:23 AM
For a small operation spending $200 on the tool doesn't make much sense to me. Im a lover of tools and have a few that I thought would save me alot of time. For someone just starting out contemplating how many trees to tap and the cost of the pipeline, taps and tubing the tool would not be on the list.

Try this little trick..Fold up a piece of paper towel and put it on a paper plate soak with veggy oil or defoamer. get 100 drops lines, taps and tees. Take the drop line dab it into the paper towel and push it on the tee and do the same with the tap....BINGO BANGO DONE finished less than 10 seconds a drop line.

When I do new lines or repairs in the woods I carry a small empty perscription bottle with wad of cotton in it with the oil.

Brent One of the problems with the heat from the torch is it hardens the plastic and because its not a CROSS LINK type of plastic it wont shrink back to its original size. A pot of boiling water dip the end in for 1 second and its good to go.

red maples
09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
The colder it is the harder it is to push the tubing onto the the fittings. Like Haynes said...the first year(for me anyway ) is spending alot of money on equipment. I would still recomend a one handed tool. I think it was 82 or 92 dollars. especially if you plan on growing and have the money to do so now. I am putting in about 200 taps this year and doing alot of the line work now and after putting in only 25 taps last January freezing my hands off and walking through 3 feet of snow on the ground I would have happily bit the bullet and bought a tool(I have lots of tools (other than sugaring stuff))

But for mainline and other things in the woods take a thermos add boiling water and bring it with you when you get to a connection dip it in for few seconds make your connection and cover the thermos and move on quick easy and you don't have to worry about melting lines dropping the torch in the snow or mud what ever.

Good luck

Littlesap
09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll bite the bullet and buy one before my wife finds out how much I spent on the evaporator.:lol:

3% Solution
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Littlesap,
You won't regret the purchase.
It's going to get a lot easier for you.
Have fun.

Dave

PerryW
09-30-2009, 09:58 PM
maybe I ought to get me one of these tubing tools. I've been running 700-800 taps for over 20 years and I just been chewing it it, heating it with Bic Lighters, dipping it is thermoses of hot water, etc.

nah; I'm just too darned cheap.

markct
10-15-2009, 08:19 PM
hey littlesap, i see your not too far away from northfield ct where i am and would be more than happy to show ya my homemade tubing tool, i made an almost exact copy of a friends tool that he had bought. depending on your timeframe of tubing installation and my ambition and timeframe of getting my tubing up we likely could find a couple weeks ya could borrow it if ya like, i know there a tough expense to swallow but once ya get one ya wont regret it there money well spent!