PDA

View Full Version : Loose fire bricks

wattsup
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
My fire bricks seem to come loose every year, I use refractory cement but it does not adhere to the sheet metal. I was thinking about using a backing of SS hardware cloth. Any other ideas?

Haynes Forest Products
09-27-2009, 07:09 PM
That seams like alot of work when the fire brick should stay in place buy its self. What gauge sheet metal are you using and do you move the arch around after use? Gravity is your friend and the brick on the sides should be mortered in tight. I would also soak any fire brick in a bucket for 10 seconds before you butter it up and place it. Doing that will allow a better bond between the morter and brick. Do you have alot of flex in the arch?

brookledge
09-27-2009, 07:22 PM
On my old evaporators the sides of the arch used to flair out so the brick would basicly stay therte them selves. My current evaporator the sides are vertical and when I bricked it I would soak the brick a few minutes and then use the cement. I have not had a problem with it after 7 years. I used the dry power mix instead of pre mixed in a container.
Then after I started a small fire to cure it down.
Keith

PerryW
09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
I just layed my firebrick dry (no mortar) 20 years ago when I bricked my 3x10. A couple of the brick moved out 1/2" toward the fire, but I never worried about it.

Silly me! I thought my current sugarhouse was just going to be temporary.

Haynes Forest Products
09-28-2009, 12:57 AM
If you mix it then it hardens if its premixed then it dries and firing makes them harder and I believe the premixed will get harder after firing.