PDA

View Full Version : Tractor shed to Sugar House Conversion

Mac
09-27-2009, 10:27 AM
I built this 12 x 24 wood shed 5 years ago. Then I bought a Kubota 7510, so I built a 16' addition to the end the the wood shed: Now 12 X 40. Then I got bitten by the maple bug... So now I am converting to a sugar house. I have my Pine in one bay and my hardwood for the house in the other. I ran a 60 amp service underground. Here are some pictures of the roof jack (I got from the Maple Guys) and the Cupola... Sides and ends are all cut and stained just waiting for end wall flashing for the metal roofing.

MapleME
09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Mac, how are ya? I just wanted you to know you should take pride in your blower idea. If you remember it has become a standard for syruping in my house. "the MAC" blower served us well last year and looking forward to it again this year.

Im just about to erect a 12x16 using rough cut hemlock. The guy who is helping me build it was looking for some close up pics of a cupola. Any chance you have any? It would be so helpful.

Another question, and maybe sounds simple re: your roof jack install. Did you just eyeball where the stack would be coming up through the roof and install it there, or did you move the evap to where you wanted it, and put the stack up and trace it or something like that? Not sure how technical I need to get. Thanks MUCH for your assistance!

brookledge
09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Mac
Picture looks good. Nice building. I will say this also. It is good that you have big doors because when the bug sinks his teeth alittle deeper that current evaporator will be easy to take out and put in a bigger one.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Very nice building and nice wood supply and shed!!!!!!

Mac
09-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Maple Me
Glad the blower worked for you!! I had a pretty good year 17 1/2 gallons on that 2 x3 flat pan.. Here is a close up of the cupola.. I have better but the file is to big to post here. If you want send me your email and I can send a bigger closer pic to you. Congrats on the new house!! 12 X 16 is what mine is inside. As far as location of the roof jack: I did not want my evap in the middle of the house, so I went with a side jack, made sure I had 3 1/2 feet from the back wall, and ran the top edge of the roof jack to the ridge so it would be under the ridge cap, then I picked up the next available rafter for the cupola... no rocket science here.. Happy to send pictures if ya need em.
Concrete floor is next!

Maplewalnut
09-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Mac-nice building, I am envious of your wood storage. Bay for hardwood and a bay for pine, sweet. How much wood can you fit in there? Looks like a nice set up , like it was built as a sugarhouse.

MapleME
09-28-2009, 09:30 AM
mac, thanks. email is jcfemt@aol.com. much appreciated!
Josh

Maple Me
Glad the blower worked for you!! I had a pretty good year 17 1/2 gallons on that 2 x3 flat pan.. Here is a close up of the cupola.. I have better but the file is to big to post here. If you want send me your email and I can send a bigger closer pic to you. Congrats on the new house!! 12 X 16 is what mine is inside. As far as location of the roof jack: I did not want my evap in the middle of the house, so I went with a side jack, made sure I had 3 1/2 feet from the back wall, and ran the top edge of the roof jack to the ridge so it would be under the ridge cap, then I picked up the next available rafter for the cupola... no rocket science here.. Happy to send pictures if ya need em.
Concrete floor is next!

Sugarmaker
09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
mac,
The wife says for you to be careful, the wood for the house is in danger of being used to make syrup. "that's the voice of experience talking".
Nice building! Should make a real nice sugar house.

Regards,
Chris

Mac
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Here's a photo of the finshed Cupola

3rdgen.maple
10-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Mac did you sneak over and steal my cupola and paint it a different color? Looks good and very similar to mine. You guys are all making me look bad getting all this stuff done.

Mac
10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
3rdgen
Thanks.... I am happy with the looks and construction..... can't wai to see it in action. I still have plenty to do, so don't feel bad, and it looks like my wood splitter swallowed a ring today.... It's always something isn't it

Mac
11-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Cupola is finished with ropes and pully's.. Works great, doors "fall to the outside" on there own. Poured the floor this week. This is a 12 X 16 .. I ordered 4 yds of 3000 psi no calcium... was a really warm day... used rewire mesh and 3/8" rebar. The floor is probably 5 1/2" thick overkill I know. I used 3/4" styrofoam agaisnt my sill so if the slab moves due to frost it won't move the building. Waiting on my new 20 X 66 from THE MAPLE GUYS!! Should be here soon. (Right Chris?) Can't wait.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Looks extremely nice and that evaporator will look really nice sitting in the middle of it!