PDA

View Full Version : need a 219 degree hydrometer.

Justin Turco
09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
How about if one of you guys make a hydrometer that measures density at 219. Instead of 211 and 60. I bring syrup close in the evaporator then pack in 5 gallon blue containers and then bring to a boil one more time and filter, before it gets packed in small containers later in the season. (My syrup has been ending up "slightly" heavier than it needs to be.)

Or could you tell me how much the hydrometer should sink above the red line if I'm going to check syrup at 219 degrees instead of 211.

Thanks

maple flats
09-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I had similar problems until i got an ACCU cup from the maple Guys. That comes with a chart to give you readings every few degrees from hot down to 60. Problem solved.

Justin Turco
09-26-2009, 07:01 PM
An ACCU cup....Hmmmm. Never heard of that. I'll check into it. Thanks.

KenWP
09-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Only takes a couple of seconds for the temps to drop once you take syrup out of the evaportator to test it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Best way to test it is to fill the cup and let it set for at least 30 seconds to get the stainless nice and hot and dump it back and then draw off into the hot cup. Stainless holds heat pretty good and cools slowly. I don't test off the evaporator, but off the finisher and when I get close and am testing every 2 to 5 minutes, I leave the cup full of syrup so the cup stays hot and then it is ready whenever I am.

danno
09-28-2009, 09:25 AM
There were some pretty nifty plastic cards floating around here awhile back with the temp chart/brix. If recollection serves, I think someone put the chart up on this site if you want to search old threads.

PARKER MAPLE
09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
hey justin im looking at an accu cup also, found them at the maple guys.com. i believe they make them there to order. a little expensive, but takes the gess work out of the equasion. hope this helps maple rookie

3% Solution
09-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Justin,
How's dad doing?
Tell him I said "Hi."
Ok about the 219* hydrometer.
The syrup will never be at 219* in the cup, as others have said it will cool quickly once you fill the cup.
We hang the cup in the steam to keep it warm / hot.
Now this is my solution to the temperature / density issue; I bought a digital thermometer with a probe.
The hydrometer and the probe goes into the syrup that is in the draw off container, I check the temperature, I look at the chart and it tells me where the hydrometer should be floating.
Example; syrup at 185* needs to float the hydrometer at 60.4 brix to be the correct density for syrup.
I have the conversion chart if you would like to have it.
If you would like it send me a PM with your email address and I will get it to you.
Now if you would like to purchase an Accu-Cup the Maple Guys do sell them.
Hope this helps!!!

Dave

802maple
10-01-2009, 08:22 PM
There were some pretty nifty plastic cards floating around here awhile back with the temp chart/brix. If recollection serves, I think someone put the chart up on this site if you want to search old threads.

Danno, didn't I send you some? I think I have some more if anybody wants some.. send me your address and I will send you one. I am not home now but I will be in a few days

Brent
10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
the chart is on our site ... links at the very bottom of this page.

these are good in the kitchen

Order an Accu-cup. You'll love it. Get the laminated chart at the same time for the grubby work in the sugar shack.

And say thanks to the Maple Guys for running this forum while you're at it.

http://www.duffyslanemaple.ca/Making-syrup/making-syrup.html

802maple
10-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Now that I am taking in nourishment, I will get the cards out to the ones of you that requested them

danno
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Danno, didn't I send you some? I think I have some more if anybody wants some.. send me your address and I will send you one. I am not home now but I will be in a few days

Jerry - you certainly did and I refer to it all the time. When I first started out, I thought you could only check density when syrup was hot, until one day I saw my syrup packer checking density of 60 degree syrup. Certainly has saved me some time.

Jerry, I hope you're recovering well!

PerryW
10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
this is from my chart (in Baume)

158 deg - 33.50
167 deg - 33.25
176 deg - 33.00
185 deg - 32.75
193 deg - 32.5
202 deg - 32.25
209 def - 32.0

By extrapolating...