PDA

View Full Version : Stack Help For Homemade Rig

buxtonboiler
09-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I am building an arch from a 275 oil tank. my problem is, i am coming out the back with my smoke stack and thought it would be easy, WRONG. I can't seem to find anything that will connect up right with my 6" stacks. Any ideas?

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Got any metal left from the oil tank? If so maybe cut a peice long enough to roll in a pipe configuration and rivet it together at the point where your stack fits over it nice and snug. Cut some slots along one end say an inch or two long then bend them 90 degrees. Insert that from the inside of the arch through the hole in the back and rivot the tabs to the arch. Get some high temp silicone and seal any gaps.

buxtonboiler
09-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Great idea. I found some heavy guage galvanized stuff at work tonight and made one up. thanks for the help.

Gary R
09-25-2009, 06:32 AM
That is called a starting collar. Something you may want to think about. It sounds as though you want to put a 6" pipe out the back of the arch. It will work but, all the heat is going to want to head straight to that 6" hole. The sides and back of the pan may not boil well. Also, that would mean the bottom of the pipe is at least 6" below your pan. It is best to keep only a 1" or 2" of space below the pan. If you look at most arches there is a transition piece. Rectangular or oval to the 6" round. You can still make this out of the sheetmetal. It just takes a little more think on how to form it and rivet.

3rdgen.maple
09-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Gary has a point as well, You could always build a brick wall in front of the stack opening about 6 inches in front of it and leave a space at the top for the gasses to escape.

Cardigan99
09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
That is called a starting collar. Something you may want to think about. It sounds as though you want to put a 6" pipe out the back of the arch. It will work but, all the heat is going to want to head straight to that 6" hole. The sides and back of the pan may not boil well. Also, that would mean the bottom of the pipe is at least 6" below your pan. It is best to keep only a 1" or 2" of space below the pan. If you look at most arches there is a transition piece. Rectangular or oval to the 6" round. You can still make this out of the sheetmetal. It just takes a little more think on how to form it and rivet.

Gary, you must be a tin knocker. I haven't hear the words 'starting collar' in years.

Ahnohta
09-26-2009, 08:15 AM
We built one from 275 gal tank last year and came out back w/ 8". We went and got a short piece of 8" well casing and had round flange welded to it so we could bolt it to back of oil tank. I then put in extra fire bricks to push flames up to bottom of pan. Once draft is started it runs great. We get full boil front to back and side to side. One would assume 6" well casing w/ flange could work also. We went w/ 8 " due to large fire box upfront. We then ran 8" stove up and out.

buxtonboiler
09-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for everyones input and ideas. I quess my brain needed a jump start. I have decided to build a tapered box onto the back of my arch. It will be 24wide by 3 high by 18 deep. I will then put my stack, which I made from some galvanized ( Thanks 3rdgen), out the top near the back.

KenWP
09-26-2009, 07:19 PM
With mine I bolted a peice of metal in front of the hole out the back to slow down all the heat going out fast. Seemed to work but I need a heavyer peice of metal because it didn't last untill the end of the season and she who might get obeyed kept tossing wood in and bending it flat against the hole and I had to bend it back out all the time when I noticed the boil slowing down to much and the stack never roared enough.